Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Member Forums  » Members S10\Blazer Projects 
|- 04 blazer project  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 04 blazer project  (Read 44991 times)

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
Re: 04 blazer project
« Reply #260 on: July 10, 2018, 01:19:41 PM »
im okay with 1/8" of clearance, i havent measured to know for sure but I don't think i can shave enough to clear without fully removing the bolt.
I'm not sure if I'm comfortable removing a m10 bolt. this setup has been around long enough that a bolt would have been cost-cut out if it weren't necessary.

my blazer is cooler than your s10

• QUITTER!
« Reply #261 on: July 10, 2018, 07:28:09 PM »
day 2 of working on the blazer again.
I spent $160 on summit and am about to pull the trigger on amazon for some more things
This isn't the low budget 5.3 swap of 8 years ago...

Dug through Harley's build thread and ended up with radiator hoses with part numbers (dayco) 71983 and 71751 (both which were in my amazon shopping cart) so those will be here later this week to try out.
curiously my amazon shopping cart also had part number (dayco) 71372 but i don't know why... so i didn't order that one.

as for heater hoses, per page 214 that Harley pointed out here
https://assets.gates.com/content/dam/gates/home/resources/resource-library/catalogs/gates-molded-coolant-hose-id-guide_web.pdf
and shopping for best price per length,
5/8" to 5/8" 90  Gates28472
3/4" to 3/4" 90  Gates28480
are what I'm ordering for now. per this diagram I might switch out the 3/4" line to go through the surge tank later but for $15 i might as well pick it up

• QUITTER!
« Reply #262 on: July 10, 2018, 07:39:45 PM »
good news! ls1 intake with the stock rail flipped around solves the clearance issue.
Bad news: I needed to make a summit order for a return style vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator, injector spacers (to keep my flex fuel truck injectors), and intake manifold bolts because this intake didn't come with them for some reason.
lucky for me i had a set of brand new intake gaskets on hand to swap out these tired old ones (yay parts hoarding) so tomorrow when that summit order arrives i can snug it down.

Oh also my 4 way truck steam vent doesn't fit under the ls1 intake so im going back to the front only setup.... except i lost the rear block offs so i ordered a pair of those too

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #263 on: July 11, 2018, 05:20:59 PM »
That's awesome that there's an off the shelf solution. Great work! Bummer that the LS1 intake loses a bit of power, but that means they can be had for cheap.

I think the stock AC hoses could tolerate some angle. Moot point now, but for any future endeavors worth considering.

You're not wasting money on those angle hoses. They're the best deal that can be had on high quality straight hose too, so even if you cut off the right angle and use it for something straight it's a win.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:53:51 AM by Harley »

• QUITTER!
« Reply #264 on: July 17, 2018, 12:21:53 PM »
successfully bolted up the ls1 intake with truck throttle body, truck flex fuel injectors, ls1 fuel rails, summitracing injector spacers and 1/4" spacers to shim up the rail off amazon.
note to others: when an aftermarket product is listed for exactly your application, sometimes it does not fit correctly :/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ICB-551371

coil bracket unfortunately needed some modification but at least i fully expected that.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #265 on: July 20, 2018, 08:00:52 AM »
got lucky and found the c5 corvette PS pressure line works for this corvette pump to blazer steering box.
bend is a little tighter than I'd prefer but it should work fine.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2018, 07:33:35 PM »
made some little brackets to mount the intrepid fan which is a PERFECT core size fit on the stock rad
these are the things that make a swap take forever

and then dropped it in the car.
oops.
this is running the ls2 water pump

anyone have a later LS3 water pump they can measure for me?
p/n19180610 according to my googles

• QUITTER!
« Reply #267 on: August 24, 2018, 05:29:40 AM »
looks like the ls3 pump outlet would crash into the other fan :/
so im making pies instead

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #268 on: August 27, 2018, 06:46:52 PM »
Hmmm pie

Now I'm wondering if the Grand Am or Cavalier rad/fan setup will fit in the factory position. Those Intrepid fans really aren't that deep.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »
Because im terrible at learning from other people's mistakes, I tried putting regular truck plug wires i had purchased a year ago on and it severely interfered with the steering shaft.
Tried the junk wires from the envoy (promptly tore a wire in half) and it works great :/

looking back at this post http://www.pro-tourings10.com/index.php?topic=87.msg14589#msg14589
looks like Harley already solved the problem i just ignored it previously.

so new tbss wires are on order.

welded up a bunch of aluminum pies to get to here

i plugged one end and filled it with water to see if it will leak down at all overnight before i weld it onto the water pump itself.

i posted this pic on FB and a friend mentioned an escalade hose might have worked.

too late now but maybe i should have tried that first. oh well.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2018, 10:45:52 AM »
I just used the one Trailblazer wire on the rearmost cylinder.  All the other cylinders are the original truck wires that came with the engine. Not a matching set, but less parts to buy?

That Escalade hose looks like all the GMT800s I've come across. Not sure how easy that hose would have been to adapt to the forward facing pump outlet. All the trucks have the outlet on top of the waterpump, so you'd still have to re-angle your outlet somehow with the Escalade option too.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »
luckily i can probably just use these straight ones on the vette so no big loss to buy a new set of tbss ones

no big deal on the upper hose now, i figured i'd need to cut and splice anyways

looks like it's going to work

little detail of sucking the steam line into the pump outlet. I really would prefer to route that to the low pressure side end tank of the rad but plastic end tanks means tough to mod.
i slashcut the little tube going into the pipe so hopefully i get a little venturi effect to suck the bubbles out.
packaging concerns under the hood leads to me using an "old school" overflow bottle rather than a preferred surge tank :(

unfortunately it turns out that the ls2 water pump has a bigger inlet at the t-stat compared to the truck pumps.
it actually matches the rad outlet size..... which conveniently the stock blazer hose worked well for with some cutting.

unfortunately i have an idler pulley that is too big (3" diameter) to fit correctly.

Anyone know of any smaller diameter smooth pulleys that don't cost over $100 for some reason?

• QUITTER!
« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
slight annoyances of long-term projects

pic stolen from ls1tech

Truck intake bracket on left, F-Body bracket on right.
somehow i've misplaced both the truck throttle cable bracket AND the s10 throttle cable bracket, both which i could have sworn i pulled off for safekeeping at some point, but a year into this swap, I've lost them both :/

I guess I need to make another junkyard trip just for the little bracket so the s10 throttle cable can fit.

Also the brake booster vacuum port on the intake is blocked by my fuel lines. time to find a different vacuum source

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2018, 10:12:32 PM »
Also the brake booster vacuum port on the intake is blocked by my fuel lines. time to find a different vacuum source

Really? Is that because of the car style intake? They do make a factory plug to block off that port if it is the same style as the truck intake.

I dug out an extra S10 throttle cable bracket if you want it. May have even came off your long bed engine haha

• QUITTER!
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
Really? Is that because of the car style intake? They do make a factory plug to block off that port if it is the same style as the truck intake.

I dug out an extra S10 throttle cable bracket if you want it. May have even came off your long bed engine haha
i took a picture but it's too dark you can't see anything.
the truck intake uses a standard 1/4 or 3/8" push to connect but the camaro intake (not sure if all cars do) use just a plastic nipple

Thanks, let me know if you're in the area this week, otherwise i can just head to the yard down the road. it's a lot closer for me to head there than to your place

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »
Thanks, let me know if you're in the area this week, otherwise i can just head to the yard down the road. it's a lot closer for me to head there than to your place

I'll be in Lake Orion at least one night this week and definitely going climbing Wednesday night.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »
I can't make climbing on wed but i should be there tue & thurs. (also i signed up for the 6 hour comp, you should too!)
let me know when you're heading to lake orion, maybe there'll be a convenient pass off time.

did a little more digging on smaller pulleys and found this 60mm OD pulley
http://www.daycoproducts.com/part?part_type%3D60%26pulley_type%3DSerpentine%26pulley_diameter_mm%3D60.0000%26grooves%3D0%26flat%3DY%26part_number%3D89582

unfortunately not readily available for cheap on amazon so I have it ordered off pepboy's website.
hopefully it arrives in a weekish. (backordered on summitracing)

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #277 on: September 10, 2018, 01:52:21 PM »
Maybe I'll switch to Thursday this week. Sounds like I need to stay off the Bouldering wall as a hip issue that I thought was a strain and the doctor initially thought was a cartilage tear, is apparently a stress fracture, so I definitely need a partner for top ropes.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2018, 06:02:49 AM »
ugh, i can't find the MAF either :/
where did i store all these little things!?

yea come out on thurs, im trying to stay off the bouldering wall to stop aggravating a wrist issue too

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2018, 08:51:01 AM »
Look for the shelf labeled missing parts? I just put a MAF back on the 5.3 shelf yesterday. I can bring that along too.

What time on Thursday?