Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Member Forums  » Members S10\Blazer Projects 
|- 2000 Isuzu Hombre - A Grumpy Truckling For the Streets 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2000 Isuzu Hombre - A Grumpy Truckling For the Streets  (Read 29959 times)

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
2000 Isuzu Hombre - A Grumpy Truckling For the Streets
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »
1998 Isuzu Hombre - An Ugly Truckling for the Streets
Original Title

Last Spring I was thinking ahead to when I sold the black truck I had been driving every day.  Still haven't sold it, but I'm no longer driving it.  Project ADD or something like that.  I had wanted to try out a 2.2 manual after hating the  2.2 auto.  Also always intrigued by the Hombre version of the S Trucks.  In June I spotted that exact combo on Craigslist.  It was across the state, but that didn't stop me.  The main parts of the body were rust free even if most of it was beat up.

Brought it home on a trailer as I didn't have a second driver and didn't really want to register or insure it yet.

Untitled by TheHarley, on Flickr

Ditched the rear bumper and tailgate right away as they were the rustiest parts of the truck.  Picked up a factory roll pan from the dealer and turned up the correct plate lights and wiring at the junk yard.

Was picking up a few small parts at the junkyard for this and a few other projects, but came across a complete 2003 work truck interior.  Dash and passenger seat came home with me as well as a working spare tire lift.

20130628_201622 by TheHarley, on Flickr

20130701_174715 by TheHarley, on Flickr

Soon after I did some shopping on car-part.com and turned up a non rusty passenger fender, the 60% of a 2003 bench, and the matching door panels.

20130808_195510 by TheHarley, on Flickr

The interior on this truck is probably the worst I've seen.  It's been cleaned up and still looks dirty. Everything is covered in grime.  It's had a hard life.

20130811_155024 by TheHarley, on Flickr

20130811_154759 by TheHarley, on Flickr

20130811_154735 by TheHarley, on Flickr

I put the 17x8 cragers on the rear and painted up some 15's I had gotten from Ryo to tear up while I got a few things sorted out.  The 15's didn't last long though and winter came about, so I'm on some stock swirls with snow tires for now.  Once the weather clears it will be getting the full set of Crager's from the Blazer as I'm going to put some money aside for some more grip and wheel on the Blazer.

20131009_225440 by TheHarley, on Flickr

I've got a different plan for the hubcaps on the Crager's in the long term, but these GMC caps work great for now.

20131009_230834 by TheHarley, on Flickr

Had one of the lower ball joints wear out, so decided to install my ideas for a well rounded street performance truck.  I had found a guy parting out a ZQ8 truck and was able to procure most of the suspension.  Steering box, rear shocks, rear sway, and rear sway mounts were gone, but I pulled the rest for about $100.  I also purchased tall LBJ's and offset cross shafts to complement the ZQ8 front suspension.  New bushings on the control arms and the truck rides like new.

Sorry for the terrible pictures.  Won't have any full shots until the snow melts this spring.

20131201_002156 by TheHarley, on Flickr

Somewhere in there I cleaned up the passenger headlight.  Still need to polish the driver side.

20131201_002214 by TheHarley, on Flickr

After replacing the center link and idler arm too I got it aligned to -0.5 Camber 5.5 Caster and they did a touch of toe out instead of the toe in I asked for.  I'm happy with the handling so far, but haven't tried it with the wider tires.

Found another ZQ8 truck at the yard and pulled the rear shocks recently.  Also grabbed the steering box.  Total for all 3 was around $35.  Can't beat that.  Took a couple pictures of the hop shock mount, but forgot to grab dimensions.  It could still be there next time I stop by...

20131231_133841 by TheHarley, on Flickr

I still have the interior to install, but want to clean up the cab floor at the same time while the seat is out.  Will also be swapping in cruise control at the same time.

Engine and trans have been running great other than a worn first gear synchro and a low flow EGR code I think is related to a vac leak, so there aren't any real plans there yet.

There's a hood locally, that isn't beat to hell like mine. I have the money to buy it, just need to make time to pick it up.  I also want to pick up a replacement driver door and tailgate in white.  Found a few sources, but with other repairs and projects, I haven't put money aside for it.

I've got a ZQ8 frame brace and the sway bar mounts for the rear, new in box, but waiting to find a sway bar. Part numbers tell me I can use a 4 door Blazer rear bar, so just need to find an end link solution.   I think the only other  thing I'm missing from a ZQ8 suspension, now, is the front bump stops.  Add in some new leaf bushings and I will have the truck riding and handling well.  Also thinking of 1" blocks and set back plates to both even out the ride height and make room for one of the aluminum drive shafts I have already.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:12:37 PM by Harley »

Re: 1998 Isuzu Hombre - An Ugly Truckling For the Streets

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:00:11 AM »
Nice!  The hombres are definitely rare around here.  I've probably only seen two in the 3.5 years I've lived in New Brunswick and both were beat.
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:40:31 AM »
I'm hoping I can straighten out the bed and cab. Everything else is easily replaceable. If I get a line on a straight bed, though I wouldn't be against it.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »
I think i saw some setback plates in the attic. Remind me when im healthy again
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:23:07 PM »
I think i saw some setback plates in the attic. Remind me when im healthy again

Get better soon.

The hood is at Schram's which is in your neck of the woods.  I was hoping to pick it up either tomorrow or Thursday and could drop off the small parts I have that you've wanted.  No rush on the set back plates if you're still under the weather.  I've got a set I can pilfer from the Blazer if need be.

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:38:23 PM »
If I get a line on a straight bed, though I wouldn't be against it.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f293/isuzu-hombre-bed-536666/

Too bad it's 10 hours away from you.
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time.

Ghost

• QUITTER!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:56:48 AM »
The hood is at Schram's which is in your neck of the woods.  I was hoping to pick it up either tomorrow or Thursday and could drop off the small parts I have that you've wanted.  No rush on the set back plates if you're still under the weather.  I've got a set I can pilfer from the Blazer if need be.
Thanks Im 90% now.
I have an eye doc's appt at 5 today, but should be home after 6ish.
im free thursday.
i'll try to look up in the attic tonight

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:40:35 AM »
If I get a line on a straight bed, though I wouldn't be against it.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f293/isuzu-hombre-bed-536666/

Too bad it's 10 hours away from you.

Haha I Do keep thinking about that one.  Pictures suck, but it looks a bit rough in the same way mine is.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:42:02 PM »
There's a '96 about 45 minutes away from me, but the guy is asking $2000 for it.

Ghost

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
Looks like you're making some good progress! I kinda like Hombres just because you don't see too many.

Btw, I also have a pair setback plates that I don't need.
1997 S10 SS - ZQ8 Suspension, 2/3 drop, C5 Brakes, Spohn UCAs, Tall Ball Joints, Torsen LSD, SLP ZR1 wheels

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:32:32 PM »
Brought home the hood tonight.  Do they ever look better without piles of dents and acres of rust.

Still on the hunt for a tailgate worth painting without breaking the bank, but I'm 0 for 2 the last 2 days.  2 more candidates await.

Also picked up the set back plates from Ryo and he turned me onto another budget idea I'll pick up and try out come February.  I'll post up the results.

With lining up paint for the off color parts the Isuzu should be having a good next month.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:59:51 PM by Harley »

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 11:15:13 PM »
Will you at least outline the idea while we wait for you to try it?

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 07:42:45 AM »
Will you at least outline the idea while we wait for you to try it?

Nothing fancy or new just a cheaper option than the Flaming Rivers U Joint.  Comparable to a Jeep shaft in price, even.  Quality is unknown, but the Isuzu is my test bench.

http://r.ebay.com/BnpQ9f

Now don't go buying them out while I wait for my budget to replenish.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:06:16 AM by Harley »

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 03:53:57 PM »
That is a decent price, won't do quite as much for header clearance as the Jeep shaft is also a smaller diameter for most of the shaft, but new is never bad, I saw some really loose jeep shafts at the bone yard before I snagged one off a soccer mom mobile.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 06:25:54 PM »
Tailgate and a bunch of other stuff. I'd check it out for you, if you'd like.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/4255518040.html

Ghost

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 08:45:24 AM »
That is a decent price, won't do quite as much for header clearance as the Jeep shaft is also a smaller diameter for most of the shaft, but new is never bad, I saw some really loose jeep shafts at the bone yard before I snagged one off a soccer mom mobile.

Could just by a length of 1" DD shaft to go from the joint to the column to get the smaller diameter.

Problem I ran into with the jeep shaft on the Isuzu, and there may be differences between jeeps, but it is clocked 90* from where I need it to have the steering wheel straight.  Mine was assembled by cutting the two shafts in half, sliding the jeep inside the upper portion from my truck, and welding.  For the Blazer I will take a look inside the column to see if there is a way I can clock it and still run what I have, but not going to those lengths on the Isuzu.

Tailgate and a bunch of other stuff. I'd check it out for you, if you'd like.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/4255518040.html

That's a clean gate and you certainly don't see that decal on a truck very often.  My Hombre didn't have any of the decals when I bought it.  Wisconsin is just too far away for now haha.  I've got a couple more places to check within 5 miles of home and plenty further out from there.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 10:39:31 AM »
Finally located a quality tailgate.  Spent as much as I did on the hood, but it's the best, by far, out of a dozen I looked at.

Will have the non white parts painted soon enough.  Also have new cables on the way and looking into getting the gate hardware powder coated.  Not sure if I want to color match or contrast with black.  I will likely color match, so they don't stick out.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:09:16 AM by Harley »

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
Took advantage of the nice weather today.  Swapped out the steering box for a ZQ8 and pulled the steering shaft out with the old to install the U-Joint from eBay.  It installs exactly the same as the Flaming Rivers and did the job on the test drive.  I'll give more feedback once I get some seat time in the truck.  Other than the tie rods everything wearable and more in the front steering and suspension has been upgraded or refreshed.  Even with the potholes I'm tempted to swap the Crager wheels on this week.

I did get the leaf spring sliders in on Friday and the leaf spring front bushings are on order.  Painting the hood and tailgate are still waiting on a friend to finish up a big job he has going on right now.  The truck could be driving and looking good very soon.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »
I'm afraid you're getting through this much too quickly, you'll make the rest of us look bad.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 08:17:48 AM »
excited to see hear feedback on the u joint! yay progress