Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » General Suspension 
|- corvette wheels 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: corvette wheels  (Read 3740 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
corvette wheels
« on: July 23, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »
I like this forum!
I have a question... I have a 85 s10 with the iron duke. going to swap a v8 in it later. I have the corvette wheels an a 2.5" spacer up front. How do I stop it form wondering all over the road? you know the groves that big trucks wear into the road. now for some pic! ;D

thats an old pic with the stock brakes and rotors
the blazer brakes and rotors are on there now. an here is how she sits. My v8
Here is a link to my photo album.http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt216/Prodigy_1500/v8s10/?start=all

Re: corvette wheels

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
Chances are pretty good it has nothing to do with the wheels or spacers, but more likely that you either have tires that tend to tramline pretty badly, or that your steering linkage need replacing.

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 05:47:34 AM »
I've fought with this as well and most of the tramlining problems come from alignment issues.  Make sure you have enough toe-in, especially if you plan on running any negative camber.  Mine still catches the grooves a bit but a good alignment makes a world of difference. 
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »
i would  say tires, steering system condition, and alignment as mentioned
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Donors
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
Even with a new steering box, rag joint delete, and full front end replacement I was still getting nasty tramlining.  New tires helped a bit but the alignment was by far the best improvement.
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 06:15:22 PM »
Thanks guys for the reply i thought no one would. Thanks again. Now I have replace everything up front with new parts except the gear box. its a used zq8 gear box i got off ebay. i must say i really do need new tires for real! i had a aglinment done after i replaced everything. but still the same thing. Im going to try the new tires first! Also i been reading about this tall ball joint thing and thought that would help. here's some more pic.

an i also have the steering shaft off eaby thats for a v8 swap.

Offline GM
  • Donors
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 08:31:47 PM »
I've always wondered if a steering dampener like the 4x4's s-series have would help this problem.

• Donors
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 05:26:18 AM »
It probably would but it would be horrible for auto-X.  I ran a little bit of toe-out on my truck for a while and turn-in was amazing on course but the tramlining was terrifying.  When I went to 1/8" toe-in the tramlining more or less disappeared but the truck felt like it had gained 100lbs over the front end on course.  I think a steering damper would make that even worse.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »
what's sup fella's. money saved up for the tall ball joint swap an here's what im going to do.
1" taller then stock upper an lower ball joints from summit. http://www.summitracing.com/checkout/cart.aspx
chrome moly upper control arm from speedway motor. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/ShoppingCart.aspx

also two new tires in the front. But what i need to know is the spec to set the alignment at. Please help me on that one so i can get this swap done an move on to something else. :) Thanks!

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
Links to summit carts don't work because of local cookies. If you could posy links to the individual items I'd be much obliged as most tall ball joints are half or thee eighths taller than stock, I don't know if you'd want or I would trust a full inch taller ball joint, not in the stock housings for sure.

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 02:24:44 AM »

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
Interesting, a whole extra inch total over previous options. Would give another .5" of drop as well. Get some good pictures up when they arrive, without the dust boot too if possible.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
Reasonable price too.  More so for the lowers at least.