Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Member Forums  » Members S10\Blazer Projects 
|- '02 RCSB S10 Project 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '02 RCSB S10 Project  (Read 3817 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
'02 RCSB S10 Project
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
Ok, first post down...2nd right here.  Fair warning, it's photo intensive.

I'll have to find original pictures of the truck but here's the story so far. 

It started life as a 1 owner, completely stock grandpa truck and when I bought it at ~70,000 miles, I didn't even want to drive it in the rain.  Unfortunately, as a daily in CT.... that wasn't possible. 

I'm still developing it but so far its a Z85 truck with: 2" DJM drop blocks, Umi Performance tubular UCA, Belltech 2" S10 drop spindles, Proforged S10 tall upper & lower ball joints, ZQ8 front sway bar, Poly sway bar bushings, stock length poly end links, ZQ8 frame brace, original coil with 1/2 turn removed.  I use early ZQ8 16" rims with 225/50-16 Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals for Autox and the twist 15" rims for winters. 

The stock buckets were swapped out for 2000 Trans Am black leather seats.  They hold a lot better and they look good to boot. 

I LOVE the way it looks & the front height is good.  The rear is stiff enough but the truck still rolls quite a bit. 

It's got a slight rake to it, and levels out when I tow, but it still pushes something awful at Autox.  It turns much better than it ever was meant to and I want more, unfortunately, as a daily it's tough to find the balance.  I've put narrow wheel spacers up front but both the 15s and 16s still rub on the lower control arm when I'm at/near full lock. 

After reading here: changing the end link length may help, along with the ZQ8 steering box and a battery relocation kit that are in the garage.

Full long term goals had been to include the LS1 & T56 from my best man's 2000 Trans Am, but a house purchase changed that and the heart had to be sold.  Both my best man (standing next to the car) and the passenger both walked away... proof that pushing it on the street is dangerous. 

Long term goals are still a motor/trans swap (LS V8 or something else), 17s, nailing the front suspension with Blazer 2wd 2" drop spindles, larger brakes, different rear suspension set-up and a hidden hitch that will fit behind the stock chrome step bumper, not below it. 
'99 RCSB, 2.2L, 2wd, NV1500, Base - Sold
'02 RCSB, 4.3L, 2wd, NV3500, LS - Current
- Umi Tubular UCA, Belltech 2" S10 drop spindle, Proforged S10 Tall Upper & Lower ball joints, ZQ8 Front Sway, ZQ8 Frame brace, Poly frame bushings, always more to learn

Re: '02 RCSB S10 Project

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:27:06 PM »

I forgot one, but it isn't directly involved with the truck.   My wife is awesome, and lucky for me has a cooler car too.

This is me, my wife ('02 WS6) and my best man (post accident, new '02 WS6) on our way back from the wedding. 
- Umi Tubular UCA, Belltech 2" S10 drop spindle, Proforged S10 Tall Upper & Lower ball joints, ZQ8 Front Sway, ZQ8 Frame brace, Poly frame bushings, always more to learn

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:19:07 AM »
Sounds like you already have the ZQ8 box, but if it isn't new I suggest trying to pick up a brand new or refurbished unit. Quick search on Advance Auto has a Cardone unit for $145 + core and you should be able to find a $40 off coupon. Well worth the money to have a steering box with no slop. I've swapped in a couple used ones and even with replaced steering U joints there's still slop in the box.

Rear sway could help with the roll, but if you read through RentedMule's thread you'll find he's had mixed experience with the rear sway improving actual times on the AutoX course. I've got a couple sets of frame brackets and even a pair of end links and new poly bushings if you decide you want to go that route. I doubt I'll ever use them.

I spaced out my steering stops on the RCSB Hombre I had. Used a 1/4" piece of steel cut to shape and bolted it back together after knocking out the rivets. Obviously you lose some steering angle, but does keep tires and wheels from contacting other parts. Where is it rubbing on the control arm? I usually hit the frame first from what I can tell.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »
Truck looks cool !!

I see you have some skis...looks like a XL 800 & a 3D ??  I repair skis for a living so if you need anything LMK been doing it for 30 years. LOL

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 08:11:32 PM »
Harley and Worx thank you!  Sorry to the extremely belated reply.... I've had a lot of changes personally in the past year so I had to spend time elsewhere.

Sounds like you already have the ZQ8 box, but if it isn't new I suggest trying to pick up a brand new or refurbished unit. Quick search on Advance Auto has a Cardone unit for $145 + core and you should be able to find a $40 off coupon. Well worth the money to have a steering box with no slop. I've swapped in a couple used ones and even with replaced steering U joints there's still slop in the box.

Rear sway could help with the roll, but if you read through RentedMule's thread you'll find he's had mixed experience with the rear sway improving actual times on the AutoX course. I've got a couple sets of frame brackets and even a pair of end links and new poly bushings if you decide you want to go that route. I doubt I'll ever use them.

I spaced out my steering stops on the RCSB Hombre I had. Used a 1/4" piece of steel cut to shape and bolted it back together after knocking out the rivets. Obviously you lose some steering angle, but does keep tires and wheels from contacting other parts. Where is it rubbing on the control arm? I usually hit the frame first from what I can tell.

The ZQ8 box is a used unit I picked up for $25, so I'm OK with swapping it for a reman unit to save frustration.  I have read through some of the rear sway options and I'm not sure which way to go.  I really appreciate the offer on those parts though! 

On the rubbing, i'll have to take some photos.  The bottom (stock stamped) control arm rubs on the ID/inside corner of the wheel.  This is at nearly full lock so I've been able to mostly avoid it.  I do rub tire on the wheel well at full compression too, but that is a combination of things. 

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 08:16:59 PM »
Truck looks cool !!

I see you have some skis...looks like a XL 800 & a 3D ??  I repair skis for a living so if you need anything LMK been doing it for 30 years. LOL

Thanks and good eye!  The XL800 is mine, I've had it since high school and it just keeps on running.  No top end rebuild yet, but I've replaced the oil lines/connections and it still pulls hard for a 2-cyl.  ~145 hrs with an intake grate and impeller.  The 3D is my buddies and is an absolute blast, I've ridden a bunch of 90s kawi stand-ups but this is better.  Its heavier and cant jump as well, but its a good split between the stand and sitting crowd. 

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
Original photos for reference

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
sky high original ride height

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 07:55:59 AM »
So what corner of the world are you from? I love seeing more people getting into autocross with s10s. I hope to be able to meet up and compete with some in the future when I get my truck back together!