Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » Transmission and Rearend 
|- Camaro t5 Swap!!! Speedometer Help 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camaro t5 Swap!!! Speedometer Help  (Read 2935 times)

• Donors
  • Rep: +2/-0
Camaro t5 Swap!!! Speedometer Help
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:23:06 AM »
94 camaro v6 t5 behind my 94 s10 2.2. The reluctor ring from the s10 is slightly to large to fit the output shaft and also wont clear the housing.

I have searched for a while now and cant come up with a definite way to get my speedo working without spending the money on a dakota digital box or rear axle mounted reluctor ring (which looks cheesy to me to say the least).

I am cheap and if there is another way thats cheaper, I am game.

Re: Camaro t5 Swap!!! Speedometer Help

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:21:56 AM »
Does the 94 still have the calibration box to change the speedo to tire size and gear ratio?  Might be able to modify that to get it closer.

Are you using the VSS from the Camaro?

• Donors
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
Does the 94 still have the calibration box to change the speedo to tire size and gear ratio?  Might be able to modify that to get it closer.

Are you using the VSS from the Camaro?

Yea my 94 still has the drac box attached to the ecm. I havent tested anything, but the speedo doesnt move, and it also throws a code 16.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »
Got it.  Is code 16 related to the speed signal?

I'm not exactly sure how those sensors work, but I do know that the DRAC obviously can adapt the stock signal.  Doesn't sound like it can in this situation.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 07:49:14 PM »
I had a camaro years ago that I had to use a cheat sheet to determine speed based on RPM and gear for this exact reason. Had neither the time or patience at that age to figure out why, but I do recall it being a serious pain the ass to try and fix. Sorry I can't actually be useful. You could possibly go to an older gauge set that runs straight off the speedo cable instead of using an electronic signal?

• Donors
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
I would rather everything work the way its supposed to.

I have read that late 80's to 93 camaros use the same pulse that the s10 uses, but finding a trans to pull it from in the j/y is not an easy task.

I have thought about drilling a hole in the housing and moving the reluctor up on the shaft so that it will clear the housing, but that would also require finding a way to keep the reluctor pressed onto the shaft.

• Donors
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »
After doing about 8 hours of research, there looks like 3 possibilities.
1. Dakota Digital converter
2. Axle mounted reluctor
3. I can move the reluctor up farther on the shaft, and shim it to fit. Then I have to drill and tap a hole in the tail housing for the sensor.

I may just do the reluctor on the axle. Would be a lot less work than removing the tail housing from the trans with it in the truck. Sitting on the bench its like a 3 minute job to get the housing off, in the truck is a different story.

With the last 2 options, that will also give me the ability to use another vss for the 60°v6 swap I am gathering parts for.