Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » Transmission and Rearend 
|- New front diff answer...... 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New front diff answer......  (Read 1583 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
New front diff answer......
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »
After all the discussions about how to get a posi front diff without a locker that burned way too many brain cells to find something to machine and retrofit, not to mention a starting price point of around $1,000, I am throwing in the towel on the GM IFS. The project starting next week is gonna be a Dana 30A IFS from the Jeep Liberty.  I just located 2 of these dudes with 3.73 gears for $150 ea with axles. I am also trying to locate one from a diesel version which is a little wider with the carrier moved slightly to the left for engine clearance. just for measurement sake really. There is also a real close fit D30A that can be snagged from a  Nissan Frontier...... It's more expensive and has strange gear ratios.

There will be some fab work, but the number of different posi's and lockers available for cheap is staggering. I have found the truetrac for $365-400 new, stock (used) rebuilt posi for $75, and my most interesting prospect, the gerodisc vari-lock for around $150. I was also quoted $50 for cryo-treatment of the housing

This goes along with the theme of using a D44 (maybe vari-loc as well) carrier with my Pontiac Solstice IRS setup. Using the D30A and Solstice front spindles. I just got too shaky thinking about the CTS-V rear from a reliability standpoint.

After working 12-14/7 with an hour drive each way from home for several months and paying up bills, cutting up credit cards,Christmas and some maintenance around the house........WOO HOO! I'm almost up to the poverty line!  :o

Re: New front diff answer......

• IWTTMB
  • Rep: +14/-0
  • Burn 'em all
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:55:18 AM »
I'd like to see how this mounts & what mods need to be done. I'd like to get 4x4 chassis & make an AWD... let's see it!
If you can't say anything nice.. post it on the internet!

2002 S10 Xtreme
1953 Ford Fordor
1972 Datsun 240Z

Need some parts..? http://protourings10.com/index.php?topic=950.0

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:30:30 AM »
 No answers yet.

Why?

Well..... It seems that the massive hours and the huge rush on the last job I did was because the company that contracted out the work was going down fast....... Not a bank financed project, so I may end up with nothing after reorganization through the court system. All projects on hold AGAIN! It seems I have done nothing but go backward since I closed my business in late '07.

So on to the next one I guess......... I really want to work on a truck.....not clean a truck! I'll be on this as soon as possible