Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Technical  » Electrical 
|- Aternative - DRL Disable 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aternative - DRL Disable  (Read 2018 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
Aternative - DRL Disable
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:54:33 PM »
Folks,

I don't want to get into the pros/cons discussion of DRL's.

This is just about an alternative method to disable them.

As with all mods you do to your vehicle you and you alone are solely repsonsible.

I read in a Cadilliac forum about this method and it works for at least my 1997.

When the headlights are off the DRL module supplies 12vdc through the DRL relay to the headlights highbeam in those with composite lights and both low/high in those with sealed beams. The lights are wired in series in DRL mode so they only work at about half brightness.

When the headlights are turned on with the headlight switch the DRL module through the DRL relay applies a ground to the same wire it used to light the lights.

This wire is a dark blue wire in the drivers side headlight socket. (this dark blue wire is black on the other headlight and connects to the radiator support) NOTE: if the headlight sockets have been changed from the factory installed ones the colors may/will be different, if so go to the splices and find the dark blue wire.

Cut the dark blue wire about six inches from the headlight socket, tape the end going back to the wire harness and tape wrap it to the harness. The end going to the socket may need to be lengthened, add a crimp eye and find a bolt to connect the eye to on the radiator support to ground it. Clean the bolt area and use a star type lock washer as well. Check to make sure your lights are working and note no more DRL and no more DRL indicator in the dash!

Or, if you prefer not to cut your existing wire, buy a headlight socket with wire, remove a wire (black) from it, remove the dark blue wire from the socket on your truck, tape it up and tape it to the harness, then put the wire removed from the bought socket into the trucks socket and ground it with an eye to the radiator support like above. (this is what I did, easy to restore if need be)

Re: Aternative - DRL Disable

Pinarmeena
Re: Aternative - DRL Disable
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 04:38:21 AM »
I am very impressed and very happy to have the opportunity to read useful content on this website.