Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Technical  » Fabrication 
|- Check and adjust throttle for WOT  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Check and adjust throttle for WOT  (Read 1788 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
Check and adjust throttle for WOT
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:18:58 AM »
Decided to check and see if when I put the gas pedal to the floor if I was getting a wide open throttle (WOT) or not. Sadly I wasn't. Almost - but not quite - my guess - about 95%.

I found the reason for it not opening all the way is due to the carpeting - and unfortunately the gas pedal assemby does not have adjustable stops nor is the cable adjustable - like some other makes. (mine is a 97 S10 4.3l)

So I was left to figure it out. Came up with two different ways.

The first was to use split shot lead sinkers used for fishing which could be crimped on the throttle cable at the gas pedal end. - To do this get some split shot sinkers which are about the diameter of the crimp that the factory put on the cable at the gas pedal end. A sinker would be crimped right next to the cable end crimp that the pedal uses to pull the throttle open. This in affect shortens the cable and raises the pedal. The lead being soft might give a bit when you really mash the pedal and may prevent the cable from breaking, bending other brackets or linkage. The sinkers are about $1.50 for a small zip lock bag.

The second was to move the pedal assembly away from the carpet. - To do this get about 9-12 metric fender washers in size of M6-13mm or M6-15mm. These will be used as spacers between the gas pedal assembly and the firewall. The gas pedal assembly is mounted to the firewall by three studs that are welded to the firewall. It is easy to put the washers on the studs then the pedal assembly and the nuts that mount the pedal assembly. This is what I did and I needed to use three washers per stud (9 total) to move the pedal far enough to have a WOT. Why did I choose this? Because using washers as spacers gave me a finer adjustment.

So you may want to check yours to see if you're getting WOT. If so Good! If not - well there is two ways.

Re: Check and adjust throttle for WOT

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:33:46 AM »
How did you check for WOT?  Put something on the pedal and check if there was still room to move at the TB?
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:20:12 AM »
also, 95% vs 100% of the throttle opening isnt going to gain you anything....
my blazer is cooler than your s10

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »
How did you check for WOT?  Put something on the pedal and check if there was still room to move at the TB?

Had my son press it to the floor.  But you could use anyone or a stick, cement block or whatever. And then checked the throttle body to see if it was open all the way.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:29:33 PM by DaveVM »

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
also, 95% vs 100% of the throttle opening isnt going to gain you anything....

While it may not give me anything noticeable. It gives me peace of mind knowing it will open all the way.