Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » V8 
|- cam experts 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cam experts  (Read 6735 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
Re: cam experts
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 05:34:31 PM »
i think i picked my cam

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=86&sb=2

heres the 322 vs the 242
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:54:23 PM by hi_im_sean »

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »
My honest opinion? You'd probably never notice the difference between the two on the street. Buy the cheaper one, lol.

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 07:31:37 PM »
the 242 is $120, the 322, is $155  :)

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 07:34:45 PM »
There you go.

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 09:16:18 AM »
so i got the crank balanced, mocked everything up with the new cam and the rods hit...   just barely   >:(

thoughts on small base circle cam? howards are the only ones that are available for a hydraulic flat tappet, and i cant find any info on what base circle they use. and my bigger concern is lifters? ive read small base circle cams require small base circle cam lifters. true? they say the oiling holes is moved up or something, and if you dont the top end gets "over oiled" and the bottom end suffers because the lifter oil hole is directly exposed to the gallery. if that is the case, screw it, im not buying another set of lifters, ill just go back and use the xe256. i cant really find much good info on how to properly install a small base camshaft, just internet banter.

my only other thought was retarding the xe268 cam 4 degrees, which should clear, but id have to check by how much. but the huge downside to that is static compression just takes a dive due to the later IVC, and BMEP suffers, although the power still looks good on the graph.

im very frustrated at this point as im just spending too much money and not going anywhere. ill sell one or both cams i have now to pay for  a small base circle cam and some longer push rods if thats the best option. i guess im really stuck on if i need lifters or not.

grinding rods is not an option.

i would like to call comp cams tech support, but i have verified they are generally morons. they have already given me bad info, and they assume things instead of fact checking.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:17:56 AM by hi_im_sean »

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 05:19:01 PM »
i figured it all out.
comp sells small base circle cams as a custom grind. i called them back and talked to 2 very competent people, so i must have just got a dud last time. the "small base circle lifters" are only for solid roller drag race cams running a 0.900" base circle. they confirmed the lifters i had would work fine with the normal 1.050" small base circle. they are just stock comp replacements btw. so since i could make any cam i want i went back to DD, and ended up with a more power, and better bmep than any other previous version. i had to keep intake duration down a little to keep the IVC point reasonable for DCR.

262/280 0.468/0.486 110LSA, 108ICA

so i have a an xe268 for sale if anyone needs one lol.

you cant compare this to the above because ive received more accurate data since i last ran these.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:20:45 PM by hi_im_sean »