Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Body and Interior  » Body and Interior 
|- 2 dr blazer rear hatch glass pop spring plunger thing? 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 dr blazer rear hatch glass pop spring plunger thing?  (Read 2844 times)

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
2 dr blazer rear hatch glass pop spring plunger thing?
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »
So, i now have a 2 door blazer.

I have the e- rear window latch. so either the button on the tailgate or the button on the dash send a signal to the actuator in the gate to unlatch the glass.
So far, this works no problem.
...As long as I am holding either button while i lift the glass. if i let go of the button, the glass re-latches, and cannot lift the glass until you hold the button again.

this wouldn't seem to be not normal (double negatives are confusing) if the blazer didnt have a glass release button in the dash, which would be completely useless unless you have a friend pull up on the glass as you are pressing the dash button.....

So, the glass SHOULD pop up just enough to keep the glass from relatching once the latch is released.

for reference, Harley's blazer apparently also does not pop up the glass, and requires him to lift the glass while turning the key on the gate (no actuator on his)

I've been digging online, and been unable to find a clear diagram or explanation on how or what is supposed to pop out the glass.

After looking at a co-worker's 4dr blazer, I originally assumed I was just missing the spring, as seen here

and here

So clearly that part does/has existed in some shape on some models. (not sure if 4dr specific or year specific, etc)

but after looking at my own truck and taking a picture

I'm really confused. I have the tab, but no hole to allow the plunger spring.

so what is supposed to push out the glass?
my blazer is cooler than your s10

Re: 2 dr blazer rear hatch glass pop spring plunger thing?

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »
I can't say for certain on a second gen, but on my first, it is a function of the latching mechanism itself based on an internal spring, so that when the handle is turned fully it rotates the latch far enough that it does not close itself again without notable pressure inwards. The key on mine is to actuate it fully, if you don't turn the handle far enough it acts just like yours. Perhaps the solenoid is weak or the latch gummed up?

• QUITTER!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:21:08 AM »
thanks for the input, but i think the 1st gens are significantly different in design from the 2nd gens (or at least mine, not sure if all second gens are the same or not)

the latch release just opens a gate for the 'claw' to rotate, so the solenoid force has no effect, but perhaps the return spring on the 'claw' might be lacking... I'll take a look again at mine and see how plausible this is.

i have cleaned and lubed the pins so im hoping itsnot a friction problem.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:01:12 AM »
The 2002 Blazer I had when I was younger did pop it open like you'd think it would, so I know there is a way.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 08:25:52 AM »
more preload on the latch + lube on the seals fixed the problem.