Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » V8 
|- Smallblock vs. LS-series 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smallblock vs. LS-series  (Read 2794 times)

• Rep: +1/-0
Smallblock vs. LS-series
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:05:06 AM »
I apologize ahead of time for asking questions that are already answered, I'll do some more reading before going all out with the questions.

Here's my situation. My buddy is currently borrowing my rebuilt 350 that was in my red truck.

I calculated everything, and spent roughly $2000 on the long block. He offered me $1700 for it, so I'm trying to piece together an LS swap and make my decision on whether to sell it or bolt it back in.

Keep in mind I have loads of goodies to sell if I go LS, such as FULL MSD ignition, s10 v8 headers, trans-dapt v8 mounts, t5 that needs new synchro's, centreforce clutch, etc.

What factory configuration would you recommend? Here is where my lack of research gets annoying. I'm hoping to buy a full donor engine with harness/ecu/etc, everything needed.

I've formerly been set on LQ9, based on the iron block/alum head combo and high displacement.

I'm looking to put down roughly 400-450hp to the wheels with a t56. I don't see that being a problem with the right head/cam/intake combo, correct?

A 6000-6500 redline would be awesome, but I'll settle for 5600 factory if required.
'91 Sonoma ~ 5.7L 5spd ~ Project Truck
'99 Sierra 2500 ~ 5.3L 4L60E daily/tow pig

Re: Smallblock vs. LS-series

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:44:37 AM »
Here's the info I shared when we talked LSx swap before:

http://protourings10.com/index.php?topic=1003.msg8928#msg8928

400-450 isn't unrealistic from what I've read, but I couldn't tell you how to get there.

As for which engine, pre 2005 are the best supported in terms of tuning and ease of wiring since they changed engine/transmission controllers around then.  Check my budget 5.3 thread for more engine choice info.  02-03.5 engines are the favorite for those wanting to run a cable throttle. 02 was the start of no EGR and 03.5 was when they switched to drive-by-wire.

Plan on a T56 costing a minimum of a grand.  I think that is how much Ryo spent on his and he got a stellar deal.  I've got around $1700 into mine since I combined two transmission into one along with some upgrades and replacements.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:03:25 AM »
I still like a SBC for ease of use and budget, but LSx just blows them away if you want reliable horsepower. 1hp per cubic inch is doable with factory GM parts, on a 305. Cheap aftermarket parts can get a 350 to 450 fwhp, but an LQ9 with a Z06 cam, rockers and good tune and you're at your 400hp. Aftermarket cam with matching tune will probably get you there, running to 6300-6500. 500HP is just a set of heads away, and not an absurd set either.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 07:43:44 AM »
my blazer is cooler than your s10