Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » Wheels and Tires 
|- What tires are you running? 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What tires are you running?  (Read 3928 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
What tires are you running?
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:18:15 PM »
It's that time of year for me to buy some new tires.  For the past few years I have been running a set of Falken tires.  They drive and ride well and handle good in dry and wet weather.  Since I don't see a tire thread here I'm starting one.  I want to run a sticky tire in the rear for better stright line and cornering.  I was looking at a set of Nitto 555r, but now I'm looking at the Toyo Proxe TQ tires.

What are you guys running and how do you like them?

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

Re: What tires are you running?

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
it really depends on what price/usage(mileage)/wet properties you are looing for.
I am going to be running RA1s this summer, a first for me, but the internet raves about them.

I was very impressed with the g-force sports a while back with dry grip, wet drivability, longevity, and control.
I was VERY unimpressed with fuzion ZRi, no spectacular dry or wet grip, little feedback, and i didnt keep them long enough to see how they wore.
I do enjoy the r888s (on a friend's car) and was instantley in love, although the wear is a large compromise.

I'm curious why you are looking at drag-oriented tires.
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 05:21:53 PM »
The Nitto NT01's seem like a much better choice than the 555r's for a handling application.  If I could find those or the BFG Rivals locally or in my sizes for a good price I would try those next.  I think I'm running a Eagle F1s front and Proxes T1Rs rear on my street wheels at the moment.

I've run a bunch of different stuff and liked the Toyo Proxes T1R's the best so far.  They had pretty decent dry grip and did much better in the rain than a lot of the mainly dry-compound tires my competition were running (Proxes R1R or Falken rt615k).  I was always much closer to beating to the fastest guys in the wet than I was in the dry. They'd make a nice all around street tire but they're not in the same league as those other tires (or the r888) for all out dry grip.

For racing I'll be running Hoosier A6's this year. 75%+ scrubs are available for under $150 a tire which is $100 cheaper per tire than any of those other options I mentioned above.  They're not really an option for the street though! 
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:28:38 PM »
I don't autocross and I mostly need help hooking off the light right now.  I still like taking my corners on the street though.  Also the TQs are the only tire I can find wider than a 255 in a 16" rim and I don't have money to but new rims for better tire options.

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

• QUITTER!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
unless you are straight drag racing, i'd say a streetable sticky summer tire will be better all around than a drag tire in back.
my very little experience with drag specific tires is "squishy"

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 03:09:14 PM »
im going with these in the rear and then something different in the front, just haven't figured it out yet..

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/sports-performance-tires/g-force-sport-comp-2/tire-details

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
I like the sport comp 2s, my plan is to run them on all four, but the set I need is going to be $1K out the door.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
ya I read a lot of good reviews on them. Im lookin at about $230 a piece for the rears. Which is why I want to find something a little different for the fronts haha

• QUITTER!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »
1k for a set really isnt bad.
tires are where id say most money is best spent.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 12:10:26 AM »
unless you are straight drag racing, i'd say a streetable sticky summer tire will be better all around than a drag tire in back.
my very little experience with drag specific tires is "squishy"

Right now my blazer only moves when I'm not working, which isn't that often.....and I only drive maybe 10 miles a trip.  When I 'play' it's always straight line, cause I can hang with the camaros in the turns.

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

• Rep: +2/-0
    • MaconRacers
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:13:49 PM »
I run the NT555 (not the drag tires).  Mine are about due for a replacement.  Tires have good grip, but ride a little rough.  I'm sure there are better tires out there, but I got a great deal on mine I couldn't pass up.
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »
got muh tires mounted.
cant wait for this weekend, brajs.

fronts: Kumho Ecsta XS 235/40/18
rears:sport comp2 275/40/20
BC RACETRUCK

• QUITTER!
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 08:08:07 AM »
that is one hell of a stagger... you realize the engine isnt behind the rear axle on these trucks right?  :o

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 11:45:51 AM »
i have those kumhos on my track miata, and i fuking love them. i cant say enough good things about those tires, especially for the price. they do like heat just fyi, my first lap of the day is always a little more fun. i have kumho next step down in tire, which is the AST i believe..?  on the subaru, and they dont compare. they dont have half the traction and they chunk on the track. the subaru is also almost twice as heavy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:55:22 PM by Harley »

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »
should be getting the TQs installed thursday or friday....I'll post an update when I get some miles on them

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
Freakin love these tires so far.  Problem is, now the diff yoke and driveshaft hit the floor of the blazer shifting into 2nd.  Traction bars should fix that problem.

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 08:35:46 AM »
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »
nice

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »
Those look like they should stick really well.

I'm running BFGoodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S. I'd like to have gone with G-force sports, but being a daily I need them to be able to handle cold temperatures and a little snow if needed. They grip decently, ride smooth, but have a bit of road noise.

1997 S10 SS - ZQ8 Suspension, 2/3 drop, C5 Brakes, Spohn UCAs, Tall Ball Joints, Torsen LSD, SLP ZR1 wheels