Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Member Forums  » Other Projects! 
|- 99.5 Silverado daily/towpig/autocrosser 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 99.5 Silverado daily/towpig/autocrosser  (Read 1847 times)

• Rep: +1/-0
99.5 Silverado daily/towpig/autocrosser
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:03:53 PM »
Well, been off the forum for around 4 months. Moved out on my own with the girlfriend and haven't had internet on my desktop until the other day when I picked up a wireless adapter. Anyway, lots happening lately.

I traded the trusty ol' Altima straight up for Craig's old '83 S10 Blazer. It went through an additional 2 owners after him before I got it. I did nothing but fight with this bitch. I fixed a fuel issue by running all new fuel lines with a new sender and in-tank pump including fuel regulator from red truck, I swapped the carb to take care of a bog issue, replaced the front diff and CV Shafts, and just drove it. It let me down a few times due to the fuel issue before I fixed it, but overall I had fun and came out ahead opposed to selling Altima.

I definitely had my fun...

After selling it for $3300 to an older gentleman in Toronto with a few other blazers, I picked up this.

Its a 99.5 Silverado with the 4.8L LS-series motor, and a 4L60E overdrive auto. Nothing special whatsoever but for $1200 with a valid e-test, decent body and recent brakes I couldn't say no. The truck definitely needs some work but anyone that knows me knows I can do it. I plan on dropping it 5/6 in the spring on Boss 330's with black centres. It will also be getting big ass swaybars front and rear with helper bags for towing when needed. Wheel choice may change, who knows.

Anyway, just wanted to say hey. Will be catching up with all of your builds shortly.
'91 Sonoma ~ 5.7L 5spd ~ Project Truck
'99 Sierra 2500 ~ 5.3L 4L60E daily/tow pig

Re: 99.5 Silverado daily/towpig/autocrosser

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:29 AM »
Those red rally wheels get around.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »
I had that same truck in white with a 4.3L, great trucks, have some fun with it. And do the axle flip in the back, it's really the best budget option and keeps the stock ride and load capacity and it's about 6" drop. Front drop at 5" gets more complicated, springs and spindles will get you there, but will require new shocks. The DJM drop LCAs are pretty nice actually, keep your springs and shocks too, if you like them. Bilstein has good shocks for this chassis. Swaybars are great on these. If I was going to do another fullsize truck, I would probably go for another one of these, I really like the frame under the newer chassis, but I hate the struts.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »
long story short, I went from this

to this

real quick... trailer started swaying and I ended up jacknifing and hitting the wall backwards.

Replaced it with a 2500 for safer towing. Just a daily driver/tow pig. frame was rotten on blue truck anyway -sigh-

you even see the hood of my 91 in this pic ;)

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 07:49:19 PM »
sigh
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »
Ouch Sorry.

• Primary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +9001/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »
I've got to ask, how fast where you going? How did the weight balance on the trailer feel?

I ask because I was driving a single cab longbed 95 for work for a while, and the trailer we used for hauling tractors around didn't like going down the highway unless you loaded it VERY specifically.  I typically wouldn't do over 60 with it, and if it did start swaying a quick jab of the brakes was enough to bring it back inline.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
I had towed a Nissan pickup 200km the week before with same trailer, drove like a dream up to 120 and back no problem. Light truck with decent tongue weight.

When I loaded the silver-silverado up, i hadn't put enough tongue weight on my blue truck. Once I got on the highway and hit 60 it started swaying and I couldn't do anything.

The 2500 has been on stands for 2 weeks at my shop now. I stripped the ABS unit out (crossthreaded a fitting) and when I bought a replacement i picked up the wrong one. Going to see if I can switch the aluminum blocks from the two.