Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » General Engine Tech 
|- To V8 swap or not to V8 swap... 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: To V8 swap or not to V8 swap...  (Read 2600 times)

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
To V8 swap or not to V8 swap...
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:45:03 AM »
That is the question. Whether tis nobler to run a 4.3 and suffer...

I better get serious or I might get this moved to O/T.

I've been debating doing a V8 swap or not. I've got a line on a few 89-91 4.3 4WD blazers for less than a grand, so doing a 4.3 build would be easy, and I could be on the road again quicker and be less likely to get bumped into a class I can't handle, but is 300hp really enough? Sure I could run a bottle or blower and get more, but then I have to start worrying about the bottom end and the cost reaches V8 teritory anyway.

I guess the question boils down to:
Keep the V6 and spend some money on building it decently, can use SBC timing cover and double roller on the 89-91, no balance shaft to screw with, might need some oiling work, drop on vortec heads from junkyard with decent re-build, grab a 2114 and I might spend $1500 including machine work.

Spend the time and money right out of the gate to build an aluminum small block. Still debating doing a 327 or 4.8 or 5.3, could find some parts online and in local yards, but we're probably talking 3x the cost and I'd be likely to put down around 450hp, essentially half again more than the 4.3 and at a similar weight.

I can't figure out how to make a poll, if anyone can tell me how, I'd like to add one.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 02:47:45 AM by ArtosDracon »

Re: To V8 swap or not to V8 swap...

• Rep: +0/-0
  • ...it's easy if you want to do it
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »
For the poll click edit post. Under the reply box on the left it says "additional options". Poll should be in that. If not just put what you want and someone will add it.

As for V8 or V6. It depends. Me, I would do a V8 and get stuck in a class that I'm not going to be competitive in and have fun beating on it and hopefully get better. If you are really stuck on running a specific class to be competitive then a V6 may be a better option for you. Ask yourself how many events you will actually make and how much other driving you plan on doing. A 300hp V6 will not be as durable (in most cases) then a V8 with the same power. It is also cheaper to do additional upgrades to a V8. In the end all I'm saying is pick your class and build to those rules if you plan to be competitive. You could even check the local SCCA forum to se who runs what it each class to get an idea of what you would be up against.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:07:05 PM »
i'm already in the street mod class with a stock (now blown) v6, and still have plenty of fun.
but v8 is a must.
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• IWTTMB
  • Rep: +14/-0
  • Burn 'em all
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »
I've got a 4.8 for sale.. you want it? I just want the bolts & steam caps.. I'll even throw in an extra set of heads & a .500/.500 Z28 cam (perfect for the small 4.8). If you're close enough maybe you'd like it.
If you can't say anything nice.. post it on the internet!

2002 S10 Xtreme
1953 Ford Fordor
1972 Datsun 240Z

Need some parts..? http://protourings10.com/index.php?topic=950.0

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »
I wish I was close enough to being ready to build to take that off your hands. I'm almost a month away from closing on my house and it's sucking all the money right out of me. If you still have it come December 8th and you're near enough to AZ to make it worthwhile, I'll definitely take that deal.

I've decided that despite taking the truck to the track a couple to a few times a year, it's going to be a weekend fun truck and a project more than a serious race truck, so it would be foolish to not leave out all the stops and make it FUN.

• IWTTMB
  • Burn 'em all
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:05:35 PM »
I just closed on a house this past Friday. Nowhere near AZ.. I'm around Chicago.

2002 S10 Xtreme
1953 Ford Fordor
1972 Datsun 240Z

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 12:55:57 AM »
Congrats! My sister was living in Sandwich, Ill till about six months ago. Somewhat familiar with the area. If she was still up there it would have been pretty easy as she has friends on the rails, but alas, no more.

• IWTTMB
  • Burn 'em all
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:09:31 PM »
My sister used to live out around Sandwich, too.. but she moved farther west.

2002 S10 Xtreme
1953 Ford Fordor
1972 Datsun 240Z