Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » V6 
|- 4.3 windage tray 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4.3 windage tray  (Read 4501 times)

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
4.3 windage tray
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »
Anyone know which SBC windage tray I should use a starting point for a 4.3? Motor is on a stand so I figure this is a good time to do something about oil control for a handling application. Didn't a few of you guys have 4.3 failures on track that you felt were oiling related?

In the Hot Rod 3/4 350 build they say the modify a Milodon tray but they don't provide a part number. Milodon seems to make many SBC windage trays and I have no idea what to look for (newb).

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/113-0208-chevy-43l-262ci-v6-engine-build/

I came across this on ebay - any thoughts? Is this a stock 5.7 vortec piece?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/371225428582?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Crank-scrapers.com makes one but it's relatively pricey and looks a bit chintzy to me...

http://crank-scrapers.com/Chevrolet_90-degree-v6-vortec.html

03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

Re: 4.3 windage tray

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 06:27:01 PM »
i would highly recommend an accumulator (accusump is just one brand) instead of just relying on a windage tray.
either way make sure you are running your oil overfilled, checking dipstick level with the engine running.
my 4.3 died from oil starvation at a track day. I don't think there's much to worry about at an autoX but it definitely wont hurt.

no ideas on what kind of windage tray you'd want to start with
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:40:05 AM »
I came across this on ebay - any thoughts? Is this a stock 5.7 vortec piece?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/371225428582?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It looks to be the stock tray, but you can get it for similar or less new from the dealer; 8.26 USD to be exact.  Search for part number 12554816.

Edit: Summit has it for $7

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12554816
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:50:01 AM by Harley »

• Donors
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:13 AM »
I've been thinking about an accusump for a long time and I didn't intend to eliminate that with the windage tray. I figured the more oil that could be kept in the sump, the better. Overfilling causes foaming which is hard on bearings and seals (at least in theory) so I don't really want to go that route.

Maybe I'll take the massive $7 hit and try to modify that stock piece! Thanks for the heads up!
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
I've been thinking about an accusump for a long time and I didn't intend to eliminate that with the windage tray. I figured the more oil that could be kept in the sump, the better. Overfilling causes foaming which is hard on bearings and seals (at least in theory) so I don't really want to go that route.

Maybe I'll take the massive $7 hit and try to modify that stock piece! Thanks for the heads up!
you can do some measurement, but it'll take a significant amount of overfilling before you get the oil level high enough to submerge the crank.
you definitely do not want foaming

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 07:43:44 PM »
We've ran our motor (4.3) in both a bone stock version and a highly modified N/A version with no Accusump (although it wouldn't hurt) and no wind age tray for 14 straight hours of endurance racing. I don't think a wind age tray is needed, especially considering the fabbing headache it would be.

• Donors
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »
If I remember correctly there are 2 members on this board that felt oil starvation killed their 4.3 on track. I only auto-x so haven't encountered any long, high G turns.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 08:17:22 PM »
We've ran our motor (4.3) in both a bone stock version and a highly modified N/A version with no Accusump (although it wouldn't hurt) and no wind age tray for 14 straight hours of endurance racing. I don't think a wind age tray is needed, especially considering the fabbing headache it would be.
I think it's track and grip (tire) dependent.
I'm 99% sure oil starvation killed my 4.3

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
I think it's track and grip (tire) dependent.
I'm 99% sure oil starvation killed my 4.3

Are you running a stock flow oil pump or high flow?

• QUITTER!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 06:58:11 PM »
was a bone stock 4.3, stock pump, stock tray, stock pan, no accusump

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »
was a bone stock 4.3, stock pump, stock tray, stock pan, no accusump

What indicated oil starvation?

• QUITTER!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 07:39:29 PM »
on track video showing the dash. It showed oil pressure dropping to zero at times, half a lap before lack of power and then severe broken engine noises.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 08:10:25 PM »
on track video showing the dash. It showed oil pressure dropping to zero at times, half a lap before lack of power and then severe broken engine noises.

Couple more questions:

1.  Did you check oil level prior to race? If so, what was it?

2. How many laps in did this occur?

3. What did engine tear down reveal?

4. AutoX event?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:23:53 PM by TacomaJPP »

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 08:53:21 PM »
Here's my take on a windage tray:

It reduces parasitic drag on the crank from oil build-up with a side benefit of not reducing available oil in the pan. I think to get a lot of oil on the crank, it would require high RPMs for a sustained period of time. That's why I find it unlikely that the lack of windage tray in an AutoX type of event would starve your 4.3. Also, the 4.3 pan is baffled quite nicely.

In the link below (fast forward to the 20:05 mark) I do a long, high g turn for 20 seconds. My shift light in 3rd gear with the setup for that track comes on at 88 mph (5,750 RPM). Unless there is a caution, our truck never drops below 4,000 RPM. A driver's stint is 2 straight hours and we sustain those high RPMs for a long time.

Fast forward to 20:05

https://youtu.be/MohWYvK_z5g

• Donors
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
Fun video, I need to start doing some real racing! I hold my truck on the limiter (5800) constantly at auto-x events and haven't had a problem but it would suck to spend money on an engine build only to blow it from oil starvation. An accumsump is cheap insurance.

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 12:43:37 PM »
Here's my take on a windage tray:

It reduces parasitic drag on the crank from oil build-up with a side benefit of not reducing available oil in the pan. I think to get a lot of oil on the crank, it would require high RPMs for a sustained period of time. That's why I find it unlikely that the lack of windage tray in an AutoX type of event would starve your 4.3. Also, the 4.3 pan is baffled quite nicely.

In the link below (fast forward to the 20:05 mark) I do a long, high g turn for 20 seconds. My shift light in 3rd gear with the setup for that track comes on at 88 mph (5,750 RPM). Unless there is a caution, our truck never drops below 4,000 RPM. A driver's stint is 2 straight hours and we sustain those high RPMs for a long time.

Fast forward to 20:05

https://youtu.be/MohWYvK_z5g
That was fun to watch. It looks like you've really got that truck set up well. I was surprised at how many cars you passed.
1997 S10 SS - ZQ8 Suspension, 2/3 drop, C5 Brakes, Spohn UCAs, Tall Ball Joints, Torsen LSD, SLP ZR1 wheels

• QUITTER!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 04:25:29 PM »

Couple more questions:

1.  Did you check oil level prior to race? If so, what was it?

2. How many laps in did this occur?

3. What did engine tear down reveal?

4. AutoX event?

1. This was 5+ years ago so i dont remember exactly, but I typically aim to overfill by roughly a qt.
2. I was in the pits after limping it half a lap almost at the end of the session (20 min) so probably around the 18 min mark is when things went bad.
3. I never saw the inside of the engine. I handed it to Harley for scrap money useage, I think me mentioned the valvetrain was loose. Maybe he can chime in.
4. no, open track event.

I agree an autoX event will never see the sustained corners to worry too much
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:27:23 PM by greencactus3 »

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
Thanks guys. It's a blast racing it. Suprisingly, it's very neutral to drive. Don't get me wrong, it's no E36, but it's fast and fun. The only problem is that endurance events are expensive. As in $1100 entry fee, $800/weekend for tires, and $500 in fuel but we split it 4 ways. We are looking at Road Atlanta (love that place), National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, and VIR next year.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:46:16 PM by TacomaJPP »

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 08:12:22 AM »
NCM will be interesting.  Didn't think they would open that up to anyone below the age of 50 haha

It's been several years since I tore down Ryo's engine, so my memory isn't bringing anything specific up.

I still have the engine, but scrapped out most of the moving parts, so that it could be used for a lighter mock-up.  The bearings may still be there.

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »
NCM will be interesting.  Didn't think they would open that up to anyone below the age of 50 haha

It's been several years since I tore down Ryo's engine, so my memory isn't bringing anything specific up.

I still have the engine, but scrapped out most of the moving parts, so that it could be used for a lighter mock-up.  The bearings may still be there.

LOL. ChumpCar raced here this year and most guys said they love it.

One thing that does surprise me about SBC's is the use of the plastic sleeve on the oil pump input shaft. I wonder if that died and caused the oil starvation issue.

When we rebuilt ours, we used a steel sleeve made by Moroso, I think.