Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » Brakes 
|- Wider Drums and shoes 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wider Drums and shoes  (Read 2263 times)

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
Wider Drums and shoes
« on: February 13, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »
I was looking at Summit to get new shoes for my 91, and found 2.5" shoes, and did some more digging, found drums to match from Centric. By the diagram, it looks like some kind of spacer would have to be used to be used, or wider axles, but that in combination with a manual slave cylinder might make for a nice upgrade and yet longer life.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ceb-122-62014/overview/year/1991/make/chevrolet/model/s10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/axt-axs514
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:18:50 PM by RobertR13 »

Re: Wider Drums and shoes

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 01:25:17 PM »
interesting, but im not sure having the capability to build up more heat in the drum is a good idea.
my drum shoes were crumbling apart after tracking it.
Aluminum drums may be a solution for helping with heat removal, but they'll expand more which is also bad.
I think drums just don't belong on anything performance related unless you have a water cooled setup.
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
Blazer rear disc swap isn't that hard or expensive to do....
1997 S10 SS - ZQ8 Suspension, 2/3 drop, C5 Brakes, Spohn UCAs, Tall Ball Joints, Torsen LSD, SLP ZR1 wheels

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:12:15 PM »
interesting, but im not sure having the capability to build up more heat in the drum is a good idea.
Aluminum drums may be a solution for helping with heat removal, but they'll expand more which is also bad.
I think drums just don't belong on anything performance related unless you have a water cooled setup.

A good, point, and at twice the cost, just not worth it I guess, but something else interesting. I will be doing the manual slave cylinder though.

Blazer rear disc swap isn't that hard or expensive to do....

It is a little harder on 92 and older with the different axle housing flange, but also isn't in the budget while building the 88.

• Primary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +9001/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 10:49:51 AM »

Tell me about this water cooled setup?

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »

I actually know nothing about it more than that semi-truck racing uses water cooled brakes.
something along the lines of just dumping water on some part of the brakes.

for our uses, i would say probably not too feasible. adds complexity and everyone else on the track would hate you for dumping water on the track.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705
old thread but not much else i can find
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:46:23 AM by greencactus3 »
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Primary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +9001/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »
Nifty!

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:31:41 AM »
Yeah, FIA trucks do it all the time because those boys are trying to stop 4+ tons of truck on the same size tracks we use ours on. The steam rolling out of the front wheel wells in braking zones is pretty cool. They use timed controllers so if the brakes are applied for more than half a second or so, it sprays water into the air duct leading to the brakes, they use a pressurized bottle of water so they don't require any pumps, but start the race around 100PSI backing up the water to atomize it in the air duct leading to the brakes and it turns to steam typically before it even hits the brakes, but cools the air and drops their brake temps by almost 100 degrees compared to just the air flow, so they say. I haven't exactly gotten out there on the track with them and an IR temp gun. :)