Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » Brakes 
|- c6z06 14" rotors are only $67? 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: c6z06 14" rotors are only $67?  (Read 7010 times)

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
Re: c6z06 14" rotors are only $67?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 08:23:04 AM »
Easier problem than?

I've got CAD, CAE, and machine tools.  I can make most anything fit before I cut anything.

I'm really curious how FLYNBYE made that Z06 caliper bracket work for redXtruck on the Blazer spindles. Lining everything up in CAD has an interference or near interference no matter how I  rotate it using the OEM radial orientation of caliper to rotor.  All the other hurdles can be overcome without modifying the caliper itself, which I'm not against, but would rather avoid.

The CTS-V calipers, either year, won't adapt easily to the Blazer spindles.  The caliper mounting is into the structure of the spindle, practically on top of the hub itself.  Might be a different story for the S10 spindle, but I haven't imported that data yet.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »
maybe they spaced out both the rotor and the caliper?
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 07:58:05 AM »
It doesn't look like he did, but that is an idea I should explore.  Would need to move out about 25mm as the current overlap is about 20.  I do plan on running spacers on the Blazer for my current wheels, but I'm looking at 50mm.  Not sure I'd want to space the caliper out that far or run two spacers either.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 10:22:21 AM »
Where is the interference happening when you overlay them in CAD? I can see he had to modify the spindle and use allen bolts to mount the caliber to the bracket, and possible remove a minor amount of material from the spindle ears, but it looks pretty minor.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 11:05:15 AM »
Where is the interference happening when you overlay them in CAD? I can see he had to modify the spindle and use allen bolts to mount the caliber to the bracket, and possible remove a minor amount of material from the spindle ears, but it looks pretty minor.

I did find some examples of someone who tried fitting this up and was discouraged-
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=924102

Circling the area from that link:

It is pretty much line to line if you balance the caliper between the two spindle mounting points.  If I balance the two caliper mounting points all of the interference occurs at the upper spindle mount.  In either situation the stock Caliper mounting bolts are long enough to clear the spindle with a spacer of some sort.  I'm not worried about clearance there with that solution just the caliper itself to the spindle.  Personally I'd like at a bare minimum of 3mm of clearance, but 5mm is what I would prefer.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 04:25:27 PM »
Just gonna have to use a bigger rotor. Go up to a 14.25 or 14.5 and that shouldn't be an issue anymore. If you're spending all the money of the C6Z06 calipers, it shouldn't be out of the question.

Or, to retain the rotor, you could get a set of wilwood Aero6 or forged superlight 6 piston calipers instead, they are radial mount and have a substantially less bulky body. The Aero6 uses a big 5.2 volume pad, the superlight uses a still decent 4.9 volume pads and both use a 4.04 square inch piston are, which is about the same as the Z06, so pick your poison, more pad area = less wear and more heat, less pad area = higher clamping force for the same size piston.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 05:46:33 PM »
so pick your poison, more pad area = less wear and more heat, less pad area = higher clamping force for the same size piston.
not sure I agree with that.
Friction is a mu*force. nothing to do with pressure.
piston size is a conversion from pressure to force.
assuming the same piston area, (assuming same friction material) pad area only affects wear rate and heat "spread"

"initial bite" or linearity of force transition/material heatup might differ though
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
Goes back to how awesomely cheap the Z06 rotor is.  What other options do I have? Worth the cost to go to a 2 piece?  Going to a larger rotor and moving the caliper out could push me out of my wheel choice too.  I'll have to model them up at some point to see how they fit with the caliper moving out, but I do know that the Z06 brake setup on the ATS spindles is a tight fit on most 18's if there isn't an interference to start with.

What's the cost comparison with the other calipers?  How easy would it be to adapt to the stock spindle?

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »
Goes back to how awesomely cheap the Z06 rotor is.  What other options do I have? Worth the cost to go to a 2 piece?  Going to a larger rotor and moving the caliper out could push me out of my wheel choice too.  I'll have to model them up at some point to see how they fit with the caliper moving out, but I do know that the Z06 brake setup on the ATS spindles is a tight fit on most 18's if there isn't an interference to start with.

What's the cost comparison with the other calipers?  How easy would it be to adapt to the stock spindle?

The forged superlites, the ones I would go with personally, are able to be pad for about $500 a pair and would be easy to adapt as most are radial mount, with 3.5" lug adapters available direct from wilwood.