Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » Brakes 
|- Hydraulic E-Brake/Parking Brake/Drift brake 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hydraulic E-Brake/Parking Brake/Drift brake  (Read 2495 times)

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
Hydraulic E-Brake/Parking Brake/Drift brake
« on: April 16, 2015, 09:22:35 AM »
I had thought we had started a topic about this already, but sure can't find it. Any of you willing to weigh in on these units that use a flow through MC attached to a lever arm for just locking up the rear brakes? Thinking of using something like this to remove cables and foot pedal and what not for a few reasons. First being weight, should only save a few pounds, but I'll take every pound I can find. Second being mess, I'll be thrilled to not have to cobble together cables to work with my LS1 rear brakes and will clear up some room under the truck. Third, being just for fun, we have a lot of dirt roads and back roads around here I can goof around in until my hair catches fire.

Re: Hydraulic E-Brake/Parking Brake/Drift brake

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »
you don't need a park brake, and a hydraulic hand brake is hard to use as a consistent parking brake. a wedge is typical for making it work as a park brake, but as the brakes cool, everything contracts and it isn't uncommon for the car to start rolling....
I just leave it in gear all the time.
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »
you don't need a park brake, and a hydraulic hand brake is hard to use as a consistent parking brake. a wedge is typical for making it work as a park brake, but as the brakes cool, everything contracts and it isn't uncommon for the car to start rolling....
I just leave it in gear all the time.

Mine's an auto, so park does drop a pin in the tranny to lock up the rear wheels, but with my new move, we have real hills so I didn't want to rely just on that. This sounds like it's going to be of no help on that front, so for the sole purpose of beeing a hooligan, it's not worth it, but I think I'm still going to yank the stock stuff. The LS1 calipers do have a parking brake provision, but if I decide I do need it later, I'll put together a floor mount cable handbrake with modified 'maro parts to match. Thanks for the input, I hadn't thought about the fluid and metals cooling and it losing grip.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 02:18:19 PM »
I typically carry a wheel chock with me in case I need to park on a hill somewhere. lot cheaper and easier than running cables!
my blazer is cooler than your s10