Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Member Forums  » New Members 
|- done lurking down in Tampa,Fl. now im posting!  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: done lurking down in Tampa,Fl. now im posting!  (Read 962 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
done lurking down in Tampa,Fl. now im posting!
« on: January 10, 2016, 10:03:45 PM »
Pretty much like the title says I've done my lurking and now i need opinions haha. Im from the wet and winterless Florida and while snowed in guys are having to take a break things actually pick up down here automotive wise. It finally safe and viable to go outside during winter without gills haha.
Anyways I've got a rcsb 2.5 5speed truck. Its been my daily for a good year and half and its served me great. I bought it off a PO that took great care amd painted the truck and gave me a great platform. Plans are basic 4/5 or 4/6 (will get into suspension in another thread) then a sbc with a t5 and 8.8 swap. Hopefully will end up efi and one day boosted but ive learned to try the KISS method to maybe get my truck going. Anyways i hope to receive great information and guidance from you all knowing fellows. Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: done lurking down in Tampa,Fl. now im posting!

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »
My only thought at the moment is be careful with your choice of using a T5 behind anything with power. I've not had great luck even behind my 2.8 V6 and heard plenty of concerns from the Mustang 5.0 crowd. If you're going Gen 1/2 SBC another option would be a T56 from an LT1 Camaro. They're actually quite reasonable as most of the T56 demand is for LS1 style transmission.

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:08:18 PM »
I'm well aware of the t5 reputation from my previous endeavors in the fox body world. Honestly i never plan on launching the truck and mainly plan to autocross and drift but majority of its run time will be street driving. I am actually having a hard time finding v8 t5 that are gm trans. With the 5.0 they are cheap and plentiful but not the case with gm so the t56 does seem more appealing but the begining price difference is my issue.

I have had good luck with t5s and know why they break. Over shifted kills third and the case flexes which allows the gears to misalign and break. Gforce makes a stronger case for 300 ballpark and thats my plan. I like making things work that people dont like haha i figure with the gforce case and a mustang gearset with 2.95 first i should be able to hold a basic sbc with some abuse.

Im never planning crazy power and by the time i boost it i'll only shoot for low boost and minimal shock loads. Trying to build this truck basic first before it gets crazy