Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Member Forums  » New Members 
|- New to site, here to get some ideas. 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to site, here to get some ideas.  (Read 1597 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
New to site, here to get some ideas.
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »
Thanks for having me! Stumbled onto the site today while googling some stuff for a project I might do with my boys, 7 & 12. My older son is 12 and a lot of tracks allow them to start road racing at 14, so I am starting on some plans now.

As much as I'd like to pick up a Syclone, I plan to do a lot of irreversible mods that would take away from the collectibility so unless a pretty rough one falls in my lap, it probably won't happen for my kids. I may still pick one up for me to play with but keep it pretty stock.

Tentatively, my plans are to build an AWD, short bed, with an aluminum block LS. If my son is responsible, I will add a turbo. Probably a 88-93 but I like the look of the later SS as well. I really would like to find a Sonoma Gt to cut up.

Back in '95, I bought a new S10 extended cab, 4.3CPI with a 5 speed. It was a pretty fast truck stock but I did a ton of mods to it to get it dynoing in the mid 200's at the rear wheels. In '95 that was a lot for a V6. Suspension wise, I had Chisholm control arms, coil overs, poly bushings etc. and a watts link in back. I used to do some track days at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs and lots of late nights on Mulholland and Decker pushing it pretty hard. I believe I sold the truck in '98 or '99 after having Scott Carpenter(F-Bomb Camaro) custom paint it.

I have a few other cars: Off-Road K5, Pro-Touring Nova, 330 HP HHR SS, and a few more toys.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:32:43 PM by Bennyt »

Re: New to site, here to get some ideas.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 05:41:39 AM »
if you are building up a track rat, i recommend getting a cheap stock miata or similar. easier to learn to drive the limit, easier to fix after hitting a wall than a modified vehicle.
my blazer is cooler than your s10

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 10:31:45 PM »
if you are building up a track rat, i recommend getting a cheap stock miata or similar. easier to learn to drive the limit, easier to fix after hitting a wall than a modified vehicle.

Definitely won't be a track only truck. Will eventually be my oldest son's daily driver at 16. Just want him to get some track and road time before he gets his license. Actually, I want the truck to be as nice as possible, but handle with the best of them. There are some nice, low mileage Syclones around, but I'd feel guilty cutting them up so will probably start with a rougher truck. I like what Schwartz Performance is doing with the S10 build that they have going and am watching to see how it all turns out.

If I don't build an S10, it will be a 67-72 C10 build but S10 is cheaper, smaller, and easier to get parts for.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 01:05:16 AM »
Don't forget the big 3 besides just making power and putting a good suspension under it, Tires, Brakes and Safety. I'm sure you well know that these three are important, but it doesn't hurt to mention. Then decide if he's going to be racing in any specific class, or just enjoying a track day. Knowing what your limits are for a class can be a lot more important that finding out what's best and having to work your way backwards.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 11:05:41 PM »
Don't forget the big 3 besides just making power and putting a good suspension under it, Tires, Brakes and Safety. I'm sure you well know that these three are important, but it doesn't hurt to mention. Then decide if he's going to be racing in any specific class, or just enjoying a track day. Knowing what your limits are for a class can be a lot more important that finding out what's best and having to work your way backwards.

I agree on all of your points above. I'm not going to build for a particular class. Just a cool truck, that's track ready, for my kids to help keep them out if trouble during their teen years. I figure a few auto cross events a year at Goodguys, some local tracks, etc. My oldest really wants to be able to drive my Nova but with the new motor build being over 1500 HP, it's not going to happen so I have to do something for him.

Doesn't look like there are any bolt-in roll bars available. If I do a cage, it is going to be tough as there isn't much room and still keep it friendly to get in and out of. Brakes will probably be a 6/4 piston set-up from Baer or Wilwood. Maybe LS brakes to keep the costs down a bit.

I like the idea of a LS motor as it can be built upon as their driving experience grows. Start stock, next year, add a small turbo, then cam/ heads, etc, etc.

Going to watch the site for awhile and see what members are doing with their trucks before I buy something. I have come across a few Syclones for under $10k that have piqued my interest. I've always liked them and wanted one but could never justify buying one for myself. Having two boys, I get to buy 1-2 more toys and can tell my wife its for them and not me.