Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » General Suspension 
|- Trying to compile a suspension parts list 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trying to compile a suspension parts list  (Read 1409 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
Trying to compile a suspension parts list
« on: February 04, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »
So, as mentioned in my New member post, I'm doing a body swap on an s10 frame.  but staying with S10 bolt on aftermarket stuff for my suspension/brakes...etc

Drivetrain will be a 3800 SII & 4l60E from a 97 camaro, probably on a mildly agressive n/a build with nitrous on a rpm/throttle position controller

Use intentions  - mainly cruiser, highway/backroad carver.  we do have some autoX and drifting around me I'd like to go play for fun, but probably nothing i'll get very serious with this car over.

so i'd like to bounce my current ideas/list off you guys here, I've read the posts I can find, but the info seems to bounce a bit

Im getting to the point where starting to gather suspension parts is going to be beneficial.  Also while I'm in college for a new career I'm working a parts store counter, so whatever I can get now through the company at my employee discount and stockpile is a good idea too LOL.

building on a 87 std cab long box, 2.8 auto base.

the slight twist being I'm going with air suspension, shockwaves all 4 corners... I'll be picking which ones once the suspension bits are in for my heights/travel etc.   Using the controller height preset system  ( max height for parking lots, ride height for normal driving (comfort and tire wear lol) , 'race' height (basically set the heights while on and alignment machine), and 'aired out' for shows and stuff

A fair number of my choices will be based on 'bolt in' (local DOT gets uppity when you weld on the frame), and also getting replacement/maintenance parts

steering - Jeep box, jeep joints

rear - triangulated 4 link (off the shelf 'bolt in type') .. coil over at the axle style, not airbag mounts.  maybe a light swaybar, but see how the traction in corners is without one.

the Front is where most of my questions pop up....

-are their any tubular control arms that use stock style replaceable bushings? (so .. say energy poly bushings can be used).  ?

-Far as I can tell no issues using the newer style spindles (ie .. belltech 2102 for newer blazers )

- are their any factory 'tall' ball joints? just trying to find something through suppliers work uses lol

- gonna look for the largest sway I can ... which is the... 33mm bar?

Anyone know how the front end with the usual combination reacts alignment settings as it lowers? ... like, if I set my ride height settings as 0 camber, slightly neg toe.  how far would the suspension have to drop to get the .5 to  .75 neg camber and 0 ish toe for 'racing' (ideally i'll have a other set(s) of wheels/tires for actually autox or drifting if I decide to go play lol

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:53:35 PM by Reckless »

Re: Trying to compile a suspension parts list

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
For control arms - no but there are tubular arms with replaceable bushings
New spindles are fine
You can use a Chevy C10 upper ball joint with UB Machine control arms. It is 3/8" taller than stock.
33 mm ZQ8 is the largest diameter sway bar available but Ridetech may be working on something now

There is some info on camber changes with travel in this thread:

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/84610-UMI-G-Body-Upper-A-Arms-w-1-2-quot-Taller-Ball-Joints-amp-Camber-Curve-Data?highlight=g-body%20tall%20ball%20joints%20camber%20gain
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:38:16 PM »
thanks for that ... kinda figured same info from what I was able to comb through posts here and there, but like I said some of the info seemed to bounce around.

the camber info looks pretty close to what I was hoping for... around an inch of drop from ride height will give me to .75 neg camber for 'race' height.

the air system i'm looking at I shouldn't need a rear sway .. and should assist the 33mm bar nicely ... it uses height sensors/corner bag psi to try and keep the suspension level (without trying to do something silly like air out 1 corner and max pressure another)

I'm a big fan of the softer spring heavier bar approach.  super stiff springs have the wonderful side effect of skipping you across the ground ...instead of letting the wheels move with the ground and focus the bar more on controlling roll and weight transfer.

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »
If you're running sticky tires, the 33mm bar won't seem particularly big.
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »
oh I bet.   unless locally the game is upped with some actual tracks, this thing will only ever wear mid/low range high performance street tires LOL , and maybe see the odd autoX maybe a drifting event

and if the track(s) they are talking about come to actual life, I'll be moving to a Gbody as my street/toy .. and building a dedicated street legal track car ('replica' F40 ... I'm an 80's kid, don't judge me LOL ) ... and selling the ratty rod S10/bug thing :D