Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Member Forums  » Open Forum 
|- What to look for in a modified LS car 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What to look for in a modified LS car  (Read 1281 times)

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
What to look for in a modified LS car
« on: July 13, 2018, 06:05:35 AM »
My father found an '01 Trans am convertible and he wants me to take care of the purchase (I suspect it may reside at my house quite often). It's owned by an older couple who are selling it because it's a bit too raw for them. It supposedly had $8K of engine work done to it (cam, intake, valve train, injectors, stall converter) by the previous owner and put down 430 rwhp. Problem is, they don't know much about the build other than that it was done at a reputable shop. The price is good so it's probably worth taking some risks on the purchase.

I don't know much about LSx builds but I'll certainly be able to confirm the power claim and look over the rest of the car for typical f-body issues. What should I look/listen/test for engine and trans related on the test drive? Are there obvious visual differences between an LS1 and LS6 intake (it looks like a factory piece but was supposedly changed).
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

Re: What to look for in a modified LS car

• Donors
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »
Didn't end up buying this - the cam sounded awesome but high stall convertor absolutely sucked for street driving. It only felt about as fast as my truck (which is not) in spirited driving around town and didn't feel strong until high RPMs when it came up on the convertor. I immediately jumped back into my bolt-on LT1 manual car and it felt brutally fast by comparison. Also, convertibles really do feel flexible compared to hardtops. I was shocked at how floppy it felt...
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of speed parts and not a bunch of thinking were thrown at it.

It probably oohs and ahhs the bystanders though!

Good work not being persuaded by it's sidewalk presence.  ;)

• Donors
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 05:43:12 AM »
I would never buy a convertible if it was going to be my car but my father wants one more fun cruiser on top of his '66 mustang.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
I'd take one as a cruiser. The open air experience is definitely fun, but for performance or longer roadtrips I'm not a huge fan either.

• Donors
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »
I think T-tops would be good enough  8)

I'm trying to convince him to buy a 68-72 A-body of some sort so he can get in and out of it easily (he has a bad hip and can barely get out of his mustang). My vote is for a big block El Camino but I don't think he's on board...

• Donors
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
Update - I bought a pretty mint '72 vette convertible on his behalf and then he bought a 2010 'vette grand sport a few weeks later. I haven't had a chance to drive the latter yet but it looks sick.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
Let us know how the race between the two goes.  ;)

Your dad is going to have all the fun with those 2!

• Donors
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 05:38:50 AM »
The GS weighs the same as the bird, out-guns it by at least 100 hp, runs 325's in the rear, and has great suspension and traction control. I'm pretty sure I can take it!

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »
And I thought I was cool with my 315s!