Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Member Forums  » Open Forum 
|- More car buying advice - G8 GT vs STI 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More car buying advice - G8 GT vs STI  (Read 1791 times)

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
More car buying advice - G8 GT vs STI
« on: March 13, 2019, 05:43:44 AM »
Anyone still check this forum  :)

I sold the Jimmy and need a reasonably safe, half practical 4 door car that can fit a car seat or 2 and won't suck the life of me. A TBSS was on the list but the wife will probably get an SUV of some sort so we don't need another.

I'm torn between a stock (or close to it) 2010ish STI hatchback or a stock 2009 G8 GT (the unicorn - a manual Audi B6 S4 Avant - is also in the running but that V8 timing chain is just too much of a gamble). Price is the same for all and all have about 100K miles on them. I don't know much about reliability of the STI's, any thoughts? The G8 has had lifter service recently and the front end is tight so the two main issues with those cars have been addressed. Both suck on gas but this will be a second car that won't get driven much anyway.

STI pros - AWD, smaller, fast. Cons - I know nothing about them and I'm not sure if I have a local shop that can work on it.
G8 pros - LS2, rare, looks great, reputation as a great car, easy to work on. Cons - not AWD, big.

Is this a stupid question in a Chevy forum?
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

Re: More car buying advice - G8 GT vs STI

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:01:32 PM »
I haven't since I started working again and moved across the country. Didn't take a computer or a car, so it's been an interesting couple months.

I know some of the Subaru of that era had engine issues. I remember one of my coworkers from about 5 years back having an Impreza (don't remember if it was STI, but it was turbo) he was frustrated with because it was costing big dollars to fix engine issues, but he couldn't sell it for much because they were known issues. But AWD is fun and I've enjoyed trying out non Chevy products in the past.

The G8 will have reliable power in a pretty awesome chassis. But it is big and heavy.

• Donors
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 06:51:29 AM »
Those were my gut feelings on things too. Realistically, a big comfortable car is probably perfect for my needs right now - the power will be the fun savior. The STI would be fun but I'd probably get tired of it.
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• Donors
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 05:34:05 AM »
...and it's done.

Mar 2019 by Rented Mule, on Flickr

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 11:25:23 PM »
May the burnouts commence.

• Donors
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 05:51:05 AM »
That's required when you buy a re-badged Australian hoonmobile, isn't it?

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 11:27:57 PM »
That's required when you buy a re-badged Australian hoonmobile, isn't it?

Magic 8 Ball: All signs point to yes.