Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » V6 
|- 4.3 oil pump priming 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4.3 oil pump priming  (Read 2005 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
4.3 oil pump priming
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »
I have my 2000 s10's motor and trans ripped out at the moment replacing some gaskets rear main seal, new trans and some other odds and ends while its out. 

Well I figured its a perfect time to do an oil pump and I do not think anyone would argue with this, my only question is there any way to prime the oil pump besides removing the dizzy and putting the special tool down there that attacehs to a drill? or is there a more diy way of doing it that wont f up my motor upon starting.

ive heard of some special lubricants, does anyone know if these will work?

Thanks

Nick

Re: 4.3 oil pump priming

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »
someone will correct me if i'm wrong i'm sure, but i think the only way to prime it would be to pull the dizzy.
if you aren't rebuilding the i don't think its really necessary to prime it anyway. if you just want to make sure the pump is working then pull the dizzy and prime away.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 07:38:39 PM »
at the moment my motor is pulled and since the oil pan is off, im replacing the oil pump just to do it, the reason for priming it is to avoid a dry start and have the motor run for 30ish seconds with no oil, burning it up- i asked my uncle and he told me to go ahead and put it all together and take off the coil wire and crank it, which would prime everything up

• ...it's easy if you want to do it
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »
Pack the pump with white grease. Use a SBC primer....
If you are building the engine it's a small additional cost.

No rebuild= 3 quarts in the pan, one quart in each valve cover. Pull the coil wire and crank for 60 seconds. I'm old fashioned for lots O shit.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »
nice ive been told that a few times now, imma gonna try that off camber thanks ;D