Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Body and Interior  » Safety 
|- Stock seats / seat belts/ harness questions 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stock seats / seat belts/ harness questions  (Read 2054 times)

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
Stock seats / seat belts/ harness questions
« on: April 07, 2010, 01:17:22 PM »
This may be a stupid question so feel free to flame  ;D

Is there any type of aftermarket/add-on seat belt setup that will do a better job of holding my fat ass in place while racing?  I thought I remembered seeing a harness that could be used in conjunction with the stock shoulder belts but without knowing the name of it it's impossible to find with google. 

Eventually I'll swap to a real racing seat but I don't want cheap ones so it may be a while.  Has anyone done anything to improve the support of their stock buckets or do most people just swap seats?  I have blazer leathers now if it makes a difference.
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

Re: Stock seats / seat belts/ harness questions

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »
I don't know of anything to add to a 3-point belt to make it grip better.

I'm on the long list of people that HATE 3-point belts, especially self-tensioned ones. I've been in more than my fair share of accidents, head on, t-boned, rear ended and spun out and I've never once felt like I was safely in my seat with a 3-point like I have with four and five points. I've never been in a six, but I'd imagine it gives much the same feel as a 5 point.

I remember installing a set of four points with my dad a long time ago into his F-350 and the belts were designed to use the stock seatbelt and seat mounting bolts to attach to the truck and while it's certainly not the same as mounting to a cage it's got to be better than a 3-point; and they were cheap at the time, just a universal kit he got from Lopers on a special deal cause they had the set of 5 just sitting there.

Went and looked at whats available quick and found these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRM-15-621/?rtype=10
Not SFI approved, but they say they're for a street car so they have to be DOT approved(unlike several others out there) and are floor mount so they'd be pretty easy to bolt in and a four point will definitely keep your ass in place better than a 3 point, by a large margin.

Thinking about it though, you could probably get a floor mount 5-point kit and exclude the submarine belt for the time being, until you got your race seats, you would need to check with the manufacturer though as a lot of them will not work or will lose they're DOT/SFI approvals if you leave part out, so be careful there, getting bumped from tech for that would suck.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:46:02 PM by ArtosDracon »

• Donors
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 01:59:35 PM »
Thanks, that's awesome info - exactly what I was looking for.  I was thinking I would keep my stock belts in place for every day driving and then have the secondary set for auto-X only.  I'll look into it
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• Rep: +2/-0
    • MaconRacers
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
take your seat belt and tug it to lock it.  then suck it in and buckle it.  works much better.

I've added some foam to my seats, helps a little but not much.
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »
google cg lock

• Donors
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
I got some good input on this at the auto-X school last weekend.  First tip was to put seat back a bit, twist the buckle once and clip it in, and then move the seat forward again to snug it up.  It works pretty well as the lap belt won't slip through anymore.

They also suggested putting some of that rubber material used for RV table cloths and tool box liners on the seat so you stick to it.  I'm going to pick some up before the next event and see how it goes.  I have bruises on the sides of my knees from bracing myself against the door!