Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » V8 
|- Easy Budget 5.3 Swap 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Easy Budget 5.3 Swap  (Read 108753 times)

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
Easy Budget 5.3 Swap
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:58:35 AM »
I’ve been researching and putting together an easy budget 5.3 swap over the last year.  All, but one swap I’ve seen so far has been north of $3k, which to me seems excessive seeing as there are a lot of 5.3s out there and it doesn’t take much fabrication or one off parts.  My goal was to install the engine for under a grand.  I’m not including the transmission because I have one that I already spent too much on.  If you’re willing to run a stock auto from a full size truck I've seen them on Craigslist for under $500 making a full swap for under $1500. I have read of another pulling that off.  A T56 will likely bump the budget to ~$2k, which is still much more reasonable than spending $3-5k on the swap.

I’m not done collecting the parts and as I go I may spend more money in some places than another could get by without spending.  I’m looking at it from all perspectives to reduce the cost and make this more mainstream.  I personally think it is more practical today than a 350.  The electronics better integrate with 2nd gens, the engines are more efficient, and they are more powerful too.  Since I will likely be helping Ryo do his swap as well I’m hoping to learn and share from that project too.

For both of our projects I am expecting to spend money on materials and do the fabrication of many things ourselves.  This is where the most money can be saved especially for exhaust and wiring.  There are definitely great products out there, but I think that they can be overpriced for someone who has the know how to do it themselves or is trying to get a budget project on the road.  At the same time there are also some reasonably priced products out there that will allow the engine to bolt right in without extensively modifying the vehicle itself.

My Part Budget
Engine 500
Engine Pad 60
Frame Pad 60
Oil Pan 150
Fuel Filter 55
Driveshaft 100
Manifold 100
Exhaust 100
Misc&Ship 100
TOTAL: 1225

Budget is a bit higher than I want currently, but I’m hoping by smart shopping and reselling parts I don’t need that I can bring it back in line.  So far I’m $75 under budget and haven’t sold anything off.

Engine:

Both Ryo and I found ours on Craigslist.  I searched craigslist, ebay, and car-part.com until the right engine came up.  My backup was the LKQ location near me.  They had many 5.3s priced between $300 and 500, but accessories, harness, and PCM were not guaranteed to come with the engine.

"The best 5.3"

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/5-3-engine-questions-392694/

For ease of swapping, look for '02-'03.5 years 5.3L. In '02 that's when the intake manifolds got rid of EGR and continued to use the cable throttle body until midyear '03, when the whole system changed to drive by wire. That's all I'd bother focusing on, otherwise all the 5.3L's are pretty much the same until '04.5-'05 when the aluminum blocks started getting popular, heads were changed along with the flat top pistons and such.

Basically, any year will do, '02-'03.5 is the easiest.

I have a DBW engine and may have a trick up my sleeve to get it to work easily, but cable driven engines are the simplest and cheapest.  EGR engines may be cheaper, but I’d rather not worry about running it or blocking it off.  One may also want to shy away from too new of a engine because at some point after 2005 they switched to separate engine and transmission control modules, which don’t integrate AS easily into the S10 wiring.  Since the budget calls for doing the wiring ourselves that is my suggestion.

Engine Mounts:

I like the prices from the following site.  Definitely could fab these oneself if really trying to squeeze the budget.

Full S10 List

Frame Pad

Engine Mount

Oil Pan:

The truck pan will need a notch in the frame, but I’m not a big fan of that, so I picked up the H3 pan kit from GM.  I used a wholesale discount, but they’re available for about $150 or so from several places including the dealer.  The Blazer frame pads sit higher than the S10s, so I’m not worrying about it hanging down unless I decide to lower the engine and the body (which may happen).  In that case I will just add material onto the bottom of the engine cross member as well as add a skid plate for extra protection.

Here is the info I have on the H3 Alpha Pan (Prices are from gmpartsdirect):

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/h3-oil-pan-part-numbers-387309/

Full Kit: 19212593 - $125.80
includes pan, pickup tube, windage tray, bolts, dip-stick & tube.
gmpartsdirect says it is backordered by GM...

Oil pan: 12614821 - $101.17
Oil pump pickup: 12608593 - $23.11
Windage tray: 12611129 (Shared with C/K truck) - $16.75
Dipstick tube: 12584738 (Shared with Escalade) - $10.43
Dipstick: 12603506 (Shared with Escalade) - $10.07
O-ring for Oil pump pickup: 12584922 - $4.22

Fueling:

Several of the LSx engine use a return-less fuel rail.  If that is the case there needs to be a return somewhere else.  The Vettes and the E85 S10 share a fuel filter with a regulator and a return.  They’re about $55 and bolt right in place of the factory filter.  Only a modification to the return line will be needed.

The engines with a return on the fuel rail can be run with the stock filter saving that cost, but you'll spend some of the budget on fittings to convert from the fuel rail to the factory fuel lines.  On Ryo's I used rubber fuel hose and clamps to graft the stock 5.3 fuel lines onto the S10 lines.

Cooling

Stock 4.3 radiator can work with a stock clutch fan if it is recessed into the radiator and the engine is set all the way back.  Don't actually have to cut out that much to get it to fit and the shroud can be cut down nicely for a near stock appearance.  Steam vent can have a fitting tapped into the thermostat housing to avoid having a fancy hose splice instead.

Driveshaft:

Swap could require a shorter driveshaft.

Ryo did not have to shorten his, but he used the original transmission and kept it in the factory location.

Exhaust Manifolds:

Truck manifolds do not fit.  Tested them on my spare frame and Ryo's truck and they interfered in many ways.  A pair of LS1 Camaro manifolds with modifcations to clear the firewall seems to be the budget way to go.  It may require steering shaft modifications or replacement, but I haven’t seen any definite answer out there.  Ryo fabbed his own log manifolds, but I doubt he would recommended it to anyone even on a budget.

Some exhaust manifold and header comparisons for LSx swaps.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/exhaust-setups-355645/

Car manifolds and claimed modifications to run them...

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/manifold-modifications-363537/

Exaust:

99 F-body manifolds, modified. from there I used a flowmaster 2.5" universal kit with all madural bends. pieced the the exaust together myself. runs over to the passenger side, h pipes the runs throught 2 magnaflow mufflers exiting with turndowns at the rear end.

Clearing Jeep style steering shaft

Modifications

Exhaust:

I haven’t completely decided on the route I want to take.  Options I’ve contemplated is finding a stock Truck Y-pipe and modifying it, buying some bends off ebay or the like and making my own,  mocking it up using dryer ducting and getting it bent by a shop, or any combination of the three to make the full exhaust.

Wiring:

My LSx Harness Rework

Spent about $25 on new wiring pins and some connectors, but could solder to shorten or lengthen wires.

Power Steering Pulley

For extra clearance to the steering box a Ford van pulley can be used.  Dorman part number is 300-201 and can be used with a 915K6 serpentine belt on the truck accessories.

Misc & Ship:

I wanted some overflow spending for any fasteners, fittings, metal, belts, shipping, etc. I may need.

My Current Budget:

Total by TheHarley, on Flickr

Misc Expenses:

Misc by TheHarley, on Flickr

I still haven't sold the manifolds or oil pan, but hoping I can to pad the budget some more.  I'll just have to expand my listings past Craigslist.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:27:31 AM by Harley »

Re: Easy Budget 5.3 Swap

• Rep: +2/-0
    • MaconRacers
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 01:21:59 PM »
I notice no wiring in the post...

plan on going with the current performance setup?

on a side note, i totally knew when i picked up my '02 flex fuel s10 in '02 that it was the perfect candidate for a 5.3 swap...  ;)
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »
A friend of mine is running an LS2 and has done a few swaps for others as well.  He's sure it can be done with a stock-motor for around the price you worked out but that's with making/modding your own harness.  The stock 4.3 fuel pump has held up behind his modded LS2 and a cammed 5.3.  

Our local pick-n-pull junkyards sell engines for $150 but the trick is getting one that runs!
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »
Actually.  CPW may be the company that I think kills most budgets haha.  Don't get me wrong, I think they make great quality products, but for someone on a budget they are not a good choice IMO.  My plan is to modify the harness myself.  I have access to wiring diagrams for all the vehicles involved and several spare harnesses lying around.  It is cheap for me and I'm willing to put in the effort to get the harness exactly how I want it, which includes relocating the PCM and fusebox under the center console/dash.  Cost for any extra wire and pins is included in the misc budget.

• MaconRacers
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »
I totally agree with the CPW statement.  plug and play cost $ unfortunately. lol
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:28:43 PM »
I will be folowing this thread or maybe even adding to it. I'm in the process of getting a 98 vette lsi complete with harness, acc, etc. Might just have to do some side work to get it which will keep the cost down.

• Rep: +0/-0
  • ...it's easy if you want to do it
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 07:14:09 PM »
Wiring isn't that difficult. Plenty of people on the net to help read the wiring diagrams and point you in the right direction.

Your factory wiring is HERE.

I can figure out who the dude is to get whatever you need for the swap motor.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:22:47 PM by Harley »

• MaconRacers
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »
so what all is involve in the wiring swap? (roughly)

-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:52:12 PM »
so what all is involve in the wiring swap? (roughly)

To be honest I haven't dug into it, but from when I swapped an 02 harness into my 00 all that needed to change was the body to engine harness/connector.  Pretty much just have to tie the BCM and other body systems into the PCM.  The two places I can think of off the top of my head are the BCM to PCM connection and the fuse block.  If it is like most of GM the fuse block will plug right in and the BCM may need a different connector depending on year.  I'll know more as I get into the swap.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 01:34:36 PM »
http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

just another source for wiring info
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• QUITTER!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
are ls1 intakes any better than truck intakes?
i know ls6s are the hot oem ones to get.

but this one is cheap,
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/1896571661.html

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 01:11:45 AM »
I read an article a while back in which a truck intake produced more torque across the entire RPM band than the LS1 or LS6, and was only short of the LS1's horepower by 5 or 6, 10-12 short of the LS6 I believe.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 07:52:55 AM »
They may use a different fuel rail than the trucks too.  They're definitely more useful on built motors from what I have read, but that could be all forum dyno.  If you're keeping the motor stock I wouldn't bother and put the money elsewhere for now.  Unless you can't take how ugly and tall the truck intake looks haha.  I think that is half the reason most people switch.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 08:59:16 AM »
They may use a different fuel rail than the trucks too.  They're definitely more useful on built motors from what I have read, but that could be all forum dyno.  If you're keeping the motor stock I wouldn't bother and put the money elsewhere for now.  Unless you can't take how ugly and tall the truck intake looks haha.  I think that is half the reason most people switch.
haha okay, saving money then.
as usual, dont care for how it looks, just want it fast

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »
haha okay, saving money then.
as usual, dont care for how it looks, just want it fast

~300hp will seem fast after the 4.3.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 01:18:17 PM »
you mean after 92 hp, which was a big upgrade from the previous 80 hp  :-\

• MaconRacers
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »
hell i've been driving different cars latley and 150hp feels fast compared to the 2.2. lol
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• QUITTER!
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:26:24 PM by Harley »

• MaconRacers
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 03:45:06 PM »
hmm, I know I've read that the 2.2 flex fuel pumps have enough flow to power to the v8's.  idk the exact specs, but thats just what i've read.  You can also use the 2.2 flex fuel fuel filter because it has a regulator and return line just like the 'vettes.

-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• QUITTER!
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
hmm, I know I've read that the 2.2 flex fuel pumps have enough flow to power to the v8's.  idk the exact specs, but thats just what i've read.  You can also use the 2.2 flex fuel fuel filter because it has a regulator and return line just like the 'vettes.

yup ive read that too from BlackX.
wonder if thats cheaper to get?