Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » V8 
|- Easy Budget 5.3 Swap 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Easy Budget 5.3 Swap  (Read 108755 times)

• Rep: +2/-0
    • MaconRacers
Re: Easy Budget 5.3 Swap
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
i know the filter will run you around $50.  idk about the pump.
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 03:58:24 PM »
From my research filter is $55.  I'm pretty sure the stock 4.3 pump will be fine for the stock 5.3 too.  I wouldn't worry about the fuel system other than the return style until you get the motor in personally.  I can pull up some numbers for the stock pumps when I'm back to work a week from now if you're really curious.

In actuality you may not even need the vette/flex filter if the motor has a return at the fuel rail.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 04:29:32 PM »
From my research filter is $55.  I'm pretty sure the stock 4.3 pump will be fine for the stock 5.3 too.  I wouldn't worry about the fuel system other than the return style until you get the motor in personally.  I can pull up some numbers for the stock pumps when I'm back to work a week from now if you're really curious.

In actuality you may not even need the vette/flex filter if the motor has a return at the fuel rail.

Yea, from what ive read the 4.3 pump appears to be okay for a stock 5.3. but we'll see.
I do have that other unknown pump given to me with the motor.

dont worry about prices for now, ill figure all that out once all the fabrication parts are done.
vacation time now you're no longer a cripple?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:27:42 PM by Harley »
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• QUITTER!
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/472609-lsx-into-67-69-camaro-basics.html#post4073808
fueling info
from more research:
2.2L Flex fuel filter is GM PART# 15077584

probably easier to get the 2.2flex filter than the vette one, makes fittings easier to find

• MaconRacers
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »
From what I've read, I find it odd that I just happen to have what they consider to be one of the easiest s10's to do a lsx swap into.

2002 2.2 auto, flex fuel, LS model with no options.

Some would say coincidence...I say I knew there was a reason I picked this truck out when I saw it in 2002.  lol
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• QUITTER!
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 04:30:17 AM »
From what I've read, I find it odd that I just happen to have what they consider to be one of the easiest s10's to do a lsx swap into.

2002 2.2 auto, flex fuel, LS model with no options.

Some would say coincidence...I say I knew there was a reason I picked this truck out when I saw it in 2002.  lol
well then, you better start swapping, because otherwise you have the most boring s10 ever! ;D

• MaconRacers
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 11:42:45 AM »
well then, you better start swapping, because otherwise you have the most boring s10 ever! ;D

:'(
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• QUITTER!
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 04:58:48 PM »
Wiring isn't that difficult. Plenty of people on the net to help read the wiring diagrams and point you in the right direction.

Your factory wiring is HERE.

I can figure out who the dude is to get whatever you need for the swap motor.

just downloaded an printed out a shitton from that.
gonna be very very useful removing the unneeded wires. thanks!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:29:38 PM by Harley »

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 12:40:31 PM »
This might also help!
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/wiring-hope-this-helps-some-of-you-guys-out-446965/#post7058150

Hondamatic  :D           

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 06:19:17 PM »
Updated the first post with some learnings from Ryo's swap.  I'm still processing some of it, so it may change more, but probably not.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »
reviewing the first post:

first off, dont do a swap in 5 days. its easily a month long project unless you want to die.

my total "minimalist cost" for the swap added up to be $700, with a whole bunch of "options" i did.
and also subtracting non-needed costs like the power steer pulley i changed.
havent put the stocker back on, but looks like it coulda fit.

breakdown

engine,harness,ecu,accessories: $400
hughes crank spacer (needed for bolting LS engine to an older trans) $44
oil filter $7
wires,crimps,heatshrink,tape etc $100
fluids $100
MAF $50
fuel soft line $5
motor mounts: home made
exhaust: homemade
oilpan: modded stock pan
total $706

with all the extra gauges, switches, cold air intake, etc it added up for me, but the $700 seems to be about as cheap as you can get to run.

takes a bunch of shopping and time though.

and material costs of plate, delrin, tube, etc are eliminated by having a stock of that.

driveshaft required no change by having the trans in the stock location

oilpan: i have a whole thread on that headache, but after installation looks like i coulda retained a whole lot more capacity if mocked up multiple times.
due to my time/space constraints I made it smaller just for the swap to go smoother, but with time, i can probably gain back another quart or more.

fueling:
as harley mentioned, my 2000 5.3 came with the return-on-rail, so the stock s10 lines worked fine with a bit of rubber soft line.
no need for the expensive vette/flex fuel filter either. still running the same filter the 4.3 had

exhaust manifold.
what a headache to do with time constraints and no bends.
1. easy to do if you have a lot of time.
2. easier to do if you have bends, not just straight pipe.
3. easier to do with sleep.

aside from that, i would recommend doing it, i would recommend doing a lot of research first to see how people are clearing many things, but with time, as usual, its doable and i have seen very nice looking headers made by people on the internet.
if and when i go turbo, I will be fabbing headers myself again, as it is a lot of fun. but i enjoy welding, so up to you.
saves money though.
i think i have about 6 inches of tube left over after having 5 feet of the primary tube (1.75") and 5 ft of 3" tube for the downpipes.
and they reached to the bottom of the frame at the trans to dump.
apparently you use a lot of tube to make headers.
i wasted very little material too.
if you are using bends, (which i recommend) you will need to get a significant amount, which will probably add up to being more than just purchasing known-to-work shorty headers though.
my method of using only straight pipe costs about $30
harley has found his known-to-work-with-small-mods f body manifolds for 50 shipped.
for a budget swap, this is most likely the best option

Offline GM
  • Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »
Wow I thought you were at least at $1000 on the swap. Damn that is a lot bang for the buck. I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at this part "if you are using bends, (which i recommend)"
I was thinking about your build the other day and was wondering what your feelings were on doing the harness yourself? Did you feel it was worth the time and effort, or looking back now would you have bought a pre-made one?

• QUITTER!
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 06:12:28 PM »
Wow I thought you were at least at $1000 on the swap. Damn that is a lot bang for the buck. I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at this part "if you are using bends, (which i recommend)"
I was thinking about your build the other day and was wondering what your feelings were on doing the harness yourself? Did you feel it was worth the time and effort, or looking back now would you have bought a pre-made one?
oh yea the harness. my opinion. why would you EVER spend hundreds of dollars on a premade one, if it's doable in a week (after work evenings only) by yourself, and lt1swap.com instructions.

It really isnt hard at all, and LT1swap.com has ALL the info you need, and the guy that runs it responds to emails within 24 hours from my experience.
as for the VATS disable and emissions delete I was lucky and had Harley's friend do it for me, but there are many mail-order tuners that can do it for you for pretty cheap.

just read up on lt1swap till you feel comfortable doing it, and go for it.

if you plan on running the stock harness layout, its very easy. if you want a custom one as i opted for, it takes a little more patience and time, but still not hard.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 06:46:54 PM »
I don't think I have more than 3-4 leisurely hours into the harness if that.  I do have access to any GM diagrams I want, but Ryo speaks highly of LT1swap too.  At this point I am only waiting on mocking it up on the motor and trans to add in the transmission electronics since I'm converting the harness from auto to manual transmission.  Other than that I need to figure out where everything is going to run and what I need to extend/replace to put the PCM in the cab.  I can see where it is nice having it plug right in, but if you're doing extensive rerouting or putting the ECM in a significantly different place I don't see where spending a grand is going to be worth it.  Especially if you don't have it in the budget.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 12:21:54 AM »
This is a great thread guys, I just wanted to say thanks!

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 08:11:47 AM »
This is a great thread guys, I just wanted to say thanks!

Thanks for the feedback.  My goal was to show how to do it cheaper and it looks like the word is getting out.

Offline GM
  • Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »
Thanks for the input from both of you on the harness. Once you get it all laid out like you did and label everything I guess it must be fairly easy to wrap your head around it. Even if you spent 20 hours on it, that would still be $50 and hour you saved. Before seeing your thread I would have bought a pre-made one, now it seems very doable.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »
I definitely liked having the pinouts on toe tags at each connector.  Made identifying what I was doing a ton easier.  Props to my friend Al for the idea.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Been making progress on mine quite a bit lately as you may have seen in my chassis thread.  I'll toss some updates in here over the next week I'm sure, but I've also been compiling my thoughts and work on wiring here.  Feel free to leave questions here, as it is definitely a work in progress when I have time and dig into it more.  As I'm finishing up my prototype transmission mount I'll be wrapping up the wiring too because I want to get it organized and out of the way before I forget what I'm doing with it.  It was also a giant mess sitting ontop of the engine and getting in my way before I sorted it out last night.

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »
After reading this I am stoked at building a 5.3 swap with truck motor & notching the frame for the ac,H3 pan,headers.

If I can do for less than $3,000 then its a plan !!!   Might take a year to get all the parts but the ole 4.3 is only gonna last for so long & more HP is always good.