Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » V8 
|- Easy Budget 5.3 Swap 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Easy Budget 5.3 Swap  (Read 108754 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
Re: Easy Budget 5.3 Swap
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »
Fuel pump question...

If the 4.3 pump is good to go on a 5.3 & the 5.3 does not have a return system & my stock setup has a return what do I do with the return line ??  Plug it ??

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 11:39:48 AM »
Fuel pump question...

If the 4.3 pump is good to go on a 5.3 & the 5.3 does not have a return system & my stock setup has a return what do I do with the return line ??  Plug it ??

Fueling:

Several of the LSx motors use a return-less fuel rail.  If that is the case there needs to be a return somewhere else.  The Vettes and the E85 S10 share a fuel filter with a regulator and a return.  They’re about $55 and bolt right in place of the factory filter.  Only a modification to the return line will be needed.

So remove the return back to the filter and replace with the E85 or Vette version.

p/n 15077584
gmpartsdirect.com - $55.92
Dealer Cost - $53.77

Costs are a bit old, but you get the idea.

Here is the info from the LSX sticky on S10 Forum.  Part number he gives is actually cheaper ($42.38 from gmpartsdirect.com) and possibly the part from the vette.

FUEL PUMP
My truck was a 2.2L Flex fuel truck. I HAVE MADE NO MODIFICATIONS TO THE FUEL SYSTEM! the factory flex fuel pump has supported 491RWHP and The filter has a built in regulator. Same as the Corvette. I used (2) Russell part# 640850 fittings and a chunk of braided stainless line that was all I needed.
Filter/Regulator Setup is GM Part#10299146

Now I am thinking instead of running the stock filter for my year, running the Flex Fuel filter which is like the Vette one but with the nipple already, Wix #33100

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the thread for the factory hard Pressure and Return lines are?

That way I am thinking I will adapt the factory PSi. & Ret. lines to -6an and run those to this filter / reg. (mount it wherever) and run the -6an right to my returnless rail to scrap the whole Aeromotive regulator idea.

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »
Got it  :)

Just use the extra fitting on the vette fuel filter to return fuel....

This build gets better all the time !!!

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2011, 11:34:52 AM »
Any new pics ??

• Rep: +1/-0
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Just read this thread now, but have to say, I respect your ability to figure out what works together in a certain application or modify others to make them work. It takes a truly intelligent person to do that kind of thing and I just wanted to know you're doing a damn good job. Keep it up!
'91 Sonoma ~ 5.7L 5spd ~ Project Truck
'99 Sierra 2500 ~ 5.3L 4L60E daily/tow pig

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2011, 02:49:56 PM »
Any new pics ??

I've been posting all my progress on the truck in my chassis thread since I'm working all over the place as parts and time are available.

http://protourings10.com/index.php?topic=87.160

Just read this thread now, but have to say, I respect your ability to figure out what works together in a certain application or modify others to make them work. It takes a truly intelligent person to do that kind of thing and I just wanted to know you're doing a damn good job. Keep it up!

Thanks.  I've been planning and researching for several years now, so glad it is helpful to people.  I have to give credit to many of the people who have done these swaps already and shared around the internet.  Most of my information I've pulled from S10forum and a few other places.  The stuff I came up with myself has mostly been inspired by things already done and me wanting to do it better in some way.  Hopefully it won't be too much longer and I'll have it done and be able to give complete first hand experience.  Big thanks to Ryo for being my test mule too.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2011, 07:33:22 AM »
 ;D
my blazer is cooler than your s10

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »
Source for pcm wire conn/pin & the tool to crimp ???

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »
Source for pcm wire conn/pin & the tool to crimp ???

This is about all I've taken the time to post so far.

http://protourings10.com/index.php?topic=835.msg6673

I bought all my terminals from mouser.com and split the cost of an $80 "factory" crimp tool with a friend of mine.  He ordered it, so I don't have a link or model number.  It was advertised as a Delphi tool and it makes all the difference in "easy" yet great crimps.

I'll see if I can get some p/n's for the terminals up soon.  Mouser wasn't the easiest site to dig through and decide what I needed.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
Alright.  I added some part numbers and some thoughts to the end of my first post in the wiring thread.  Check it here:

http://protourings10.com/index.php?topic=835.0

Also, anyone and everyone, please give me some feedback on how well you understand that thread.  I'm not just posting it for bragging rights, but would like it to be helpful in other swaps.

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 07:27:43 PM »
I found this while searching....http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/TerminalDetails.aspx?ItemId=295

It appears that there is a 100 term & a 100W term & we need the 100W & the right crimper for that terminal.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:41:55 PM by Worx »

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »
I've actually got a pile of terminals from several locations... those are just the part numbers I was able to come up with and I've ordered most of them from Mouser.  I don't know if those others will work or not, but the description leads me to say yes.

As far as the crimper, I've used one specifically for the PCM terminals (the one you show) as well as the one I purchased for metri-pack and GT connectors.  They all perform basically the same operation and you can turn a good if not perfect crimp.  Won't necessarily be perfect every time, but that is what practice is for.  For me I wasn't going to buy two crimpers, but I also got lucky that Al had the other kind available for me to use.

Mouser's site is down for maintenance at the moment, but 52 cents a terminal seems pretty high to me.  I was getting most of the terminals for around 10 cents each IIRC.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:30:15 PM by Harley »

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
I found the right crimper on ebay & got it for $57 shipped. :)

As far as the terminals the Micro pak 100's have a barb that keeps the terminal in place in the connector.

The 100W is different,no barb & looks to be held in place by it shape.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
I just wrapped up some new content and editing to my wiring thread.  Spent a portion of my downtime over the last couple weeks working out schematics and thoughts.  Any questions, comments, etc are very appreciated to help make the process understandable.  I'm thinking I may try my hand at making some walk through videos as I modify the rest of the harness.

Check it out
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:15:00 AM by Harley »

• QUITTER!
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »
good work!
now compile me one for an 88 rx7  ;D

• QUITTER!
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
idea:

split it up into multiple posts and have a "table of contents" with a list of links per post at the top

also, maybe mention how the starter pulls well over 100 amps.... therefore blowing my 100A circuit breaker.

...I need to change that

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
idea:

split it up into multiple posts and have a "table of contents" with a list of links per post at the top

That was what I was attempting to do, but breaking it out more seems to work better.  How do you like it, now?

• QUITTER!
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2012, 06:39:12 AM »
looks good!

i went to a bookstore yesterday and browsed the various "LS engine swap/transplant" how-to books.

this thread is way more in-depth and easier to read/follow than any of the books i peeked at.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2012, 07:18:43 AM »
Awesome.  And I'm hoping it only gets better from here.  I'm really excited to try making some walk through videos for the wiring and see how they turn out.  Although not as excited as I am to fire this engine up for the first time.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
Quick question for you guys on these harnesses. My guy at the yard is saying he can't just pull the engine, ECM and harness out of the truck without cutting the harness somewhere between the engine and the cab. Where is the correct location to separate the ECM harness from the body harness in order to re-wire and re-use the harness?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:53:48 PM by Harley »