Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » V6 
|- fuel pump not running 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fuel pump not running  (Read 2672 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
fuel pump not running
« on: May 12, 2010, 07:57:03 PM »
im working on the 3.4 swap in my s10.

particulars:
1987 s10. 2.8 TBI truck.
1994 3.4 firebird motor. MPFI and DIS retained. all f-body sensors.
1993 lumina 3.1 engine harness and PCM:7727

i heard it fire on the ether tinight. near as i can tell, everything is hooked up properly, as well. if i jump my tan/white wire from my furl pump relay to power, my fuel pump runs. if not, it doesnt. have constant power in, wired into the fuel pump relay pin on the ECM and the fuel pump pin. i think its all right, but it doesnt run the pump.

so, anyway, can somebody look at some diagrams and tell me what goes where? my head is stuck in the ay i hav it done, and i cant seem to figure out where i went wrong.

michael

Re: fuel pump not running

• Rep: +2/-0
    • MaconRacers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 08:37:11 PM »
I believe there is a ground on the frame or something right?
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »
yup. ground at the tank for the pump, ground at the drivers side cyl head for the relay.

• ...it's easy if you want to do it
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 07:27:56 AM »
What are the colors to the relay?

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »
from the s10 side, or lumina side?

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »
A couple weeks ago after washing my engine bay on my 91 2.8 to get all the winter salt and water spray cleaned up my fuel pump wasn't working.  I used the factory diagnostic procedure and it helped me narrow it done real quick.  Make sure to check the ECM fuses under the dash.  Mine was blown and when I inserted a new one it would blow again.  Bypassing the circuit using the fuel test connection had the fuel pump running (check the last diagram below; it is #7 for 91 trucks, right next to the power distribution block on the firewall).  It ended up being a short circuit due to water in the oil pressure sensor connector.

Here is the information from the service manual I have access to at work:

Quote from: 93 Lumina
Fuel Pump Relay

1. Disconnect fuel pump relay connector.  Apply battery voltage and ground to fuel pump relay winding terminals.
2. Using an ohmmeter, check for continutity between fuel pump relay power supply terminal and fuel pump drive terminal.  Continuity should exist ONLY with relay energized.  If relay does not test as indicated, replace relay.
3. To by-pass fuel pump relay (to test fuel pump and wiring when fuel pump is not energizing), see FUEL PUMP RELAY BY-PASS PROCEDURE below.

Fuel Pump Relay By-Pass Procedure

1. If fuel pump will not energize, relay may be by-passed to test fuel pump and related wiring.  Turn ignition off.  Disconnect fuel pump relay connector.  Using a fused jumper wire, apply b attery voltage to fuel pump test connector (located in engine compartment).
2. If fuel pump runs and relay tests okay, check for faulty connections at relay.  If fuel pump does not run, check for faulty wiring between relay and fuel pump or replace defective fuel pump.

Oil Pressure Switch Fuel Pump Back-Up

With engine idling, disconnect fuel pump relay.  Engine should continue to run through oil pressure switch back-up circuit.  If engine stalls, check ouil pressure switch and related wiring.

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3353/4603399135_ec6f52ce2c_o.gif)

(http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1422/4604014914_8516419472_b.jpg)

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:34:45 PM »
got it figured out. didnt have proper switched power into the ECM. the fuel pump was wired right, just missed the obvious.

thanks for all the help
michael