Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Body and Interior  » Body and Interior 
|- Aftermarket Steering Wheels 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aftermarket Steering Wheels  (Read 8263 times)

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
Aftermarket Steering Wheels
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:09:27 AM »
Anyone have any info on anything about them?
What will 'bolt on' to a s10 column?
what size is 'usable'?
who makes a non-flimsy one?

for autoX I can see how a large diameter can be helpful for quick jerky maneuvers, but for a road course i can see a smaller one being doable.

thoughts?
my blazer is cooler than your s10

Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »
I know I'd like a smaller wheel. I'm use to about a 12-13" wheel and I swear the wheel on my blazer tahoe is probably 15".

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »
I love my GT Grant wheel......and with their detachable system it's nice for security

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »
i recently got a $30 wheel off jegs. its nice and stiff but now i notice all the flop in the whole column. its nice tho
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Rep: +2/-0
    • MaconRacers
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:40:10 PM »
you guys and your non airbag wheels...

That being said, I always wondered if you could swap out the stock wheel for something like a corvette wheel.

-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:13:30 AM »
I just spent a very long day swapping out my wheel with one I found a the Junk yard. I'll get some pics up here pretty soon. Dropping from a 14" wheel to a 12" made a HUGE difference in how the truck feels to drive. Now to just fix the rest of the steering, lol.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 01:05:28 PM »
yeah, with the boat wheel you don't notice the slop in the steering, but with a smaller wheel you do

I have a quick ratio box out of a 90s camaro cleaned and ready to install but I need to get the camaro pitman arm off first, then work on saving money for a new steering linkage setup

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

• Donors
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
I'm using a 13" wheel from a early 90's cavalier, everything swaps right in.

• Rep: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 12:12:16 AM »
I have a momo wheel. Used a grant adapter from another s10 I had and bought the momo to grant adapter for it for $27. Got the wheel for pulling my buddy out of the mud so I think i'm ahead on this one!

here's a picture of it before being installed.

didn't notice a huge difference
'91 Sonoma ~ 5.7L 5spd ~ Project Truck
'99 Sierra 2500 ~ 5.3L 4L60E daily/tow pig

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
I'm running a Grant wheel with a GMC center cap (horn button) and a billet adapter.  Was a really simple install and it's a couple inches smaller than the stock one.  Gives a completely different feel, I love it.  I just wish I had tilt wheel because it get's in my line of sight to see the top of the gauges.  I have to look down just a hair to see the tops of them.  i'll post a picture when i get a chance.
93 Sonoma RCSB, 2.8 w/bolt on's.  ZQ8 leafs and rear bar, 3" blocks, ZQ8 Frame brace.   2" DJM Coils, UB Machine uppers, pro-forged tall ball joints, billet tie-rod adjusters, 32mm blazer front bar,  KYB GR2 shocks all around, trans-am steering box, Core performance short throw shifter.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
Picture as promised.

93 Sonoma RCSB, 2.8 w/bolt on's.  ZQ8 leafs and rear bar, 3" blocks, ZQ8 Frame brace.   2" DJM Coils, UB Machine uppers, pro-forged tall ball joints, billet tie-rod adjusters, 32mm blazer front bar,  KYB GR2 shocks all around, trans-am steering box, Core performance short throw shifter.

• MaconRacers
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 10:23:24 PM »
looks good man!
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 11:04:13 PM »
That does look good!

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »
Thanks guys, I really like it, not too small and it has a thick grip so it's more comfortable than the stock one.    Plus it doesn't say Chevrolet in the middle, which is good for me, since I changed the grill to a GMC, haha

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
you guys and your non airbag wheels...

Airbags while they do save lives are not IMO the do all, be all, because if they were that good they would be in all major racing bodies, and they are not. I feel they along with anti lock brakes have given people a false sense of safety/security.

I stated driving back in 1970 (dating myself) and we had none of those, in fact seat belts were an option in cars through 1967. And yes they too save lives. What we did learn though was to know your vehicle and it's capabilities. Today's vehicles are so much more capable than those, yet we bust them up seemingly faster today than we did then. Why is that? Yes I'll grant you the road system has not kept pace with the number of vehicles but I don't think that is the only reason.

So if I have my choice to remove/disable airbags and anti lock brakes I should have the choice to do so. Now even with that said I would leave the anti lock brakes, but not rely on them to function except in a dire emergency. As for the air bags. I prefer different steering wheels myself and I really don't like the idea of sitting in front of a shotgun while I'm driving. I would rather have a good seat and set of belts to keep me in place. (know where I can get a Fiero seat - best seats I've used, short of the expensive ones)

I've ridden motorcycles 30 plus years as well, both street and dirt. So I guess what I'm getting at is, risks are to be managed and while I may feel it is not risky to remove/disable these features others may. But please don't allow anyone to mandate what we can and can not do to our vehicles so long as it does not create an undue risk to the general populace.

• Rep: +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »
The momo pictured earlier, different truck

'91 Sonoma ~ 5.7L 5spd ~ Project Truck
'99 Sierra 2500 ~ 5.3L 4L60E daily/tow pig

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 11:32:09 PM »
There is a good write up over at S10planet on this http://www.s10planet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24131.

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 06:26:01 AM »
I picked up a Momo Race wheel a while back. Does anyone have opinions on the solid billet adapters vs. the collapsible steel ones on a street truck?  The wheel came with a solid billet adapter that I suspect may work but I'm not sure if it would be better to chuck the $100 for collapsible one.

03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 10:54:24 AM »
Your steering column is mroe than collapsible enough for a crash, the billet should be fine. The safety nazis will be much more upset about removing the airbag, they won't even notice the adapter.

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I do like the idea of the airbag (I've been a passenger in 2 major crashes) but the stock wheel makes it feel like a tractor
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.