Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Technical  » Electrical 
|- dual data port plug 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dual data port plug  (Read 1961 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
dual data port plug
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:16:36 PM »
I was driving around today in the blazer and thought of an idea while talking on the phone with my brother about tuning.

I have an aroforce gauge and it's plugged into the data port, but when I need to plug in to tune I have to remove one for the other.........and then my idea came!

get another data plug from the junkyard and pigtail it off the one in your truck, leave one in the stock location and tuck the other one up in the dash for the areoforce guage

anyone see a problem with the idea.....as far as one program messing with another when both EFI Live and the guage are hooked up?

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

Re: dual data port plug

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:08:09 AM »
You're using a 0477 right? I'll have to look it up. I know for a fact though that multiple OBD1 signals are possible, but the data recieve line can only handle one input at a time, so guages with any kind of feedback have to be wired differently. I'll see what I can find on OBD2 though.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:21:08 AM »
Sorry, no you can't. You can connect two items at a time through a splitter, but you can not run them both at the same time. Best case scenario is that the ECU would give priority to one and the other would stop working, worst case scenario, the ECM would not be able to tell which is which and you'd get a lot of junk data, which while pushing a tune, could mean a completley corrupted data set.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 11:52:38 PM »
well hell

I thought since areoforce sold a dual plug to run two gauges I could run them this way

thanks for the info before I screwed something up

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:03:54 AM »
I did see that and it was based off of that that I was able to delve a little deeper and figure it out. The aeroforce guages are set up in a way that all data is broadcast to all of them at once, so both of the guages get all of the data being output by the ECM, then only use part of it, and do not send any information back over the Rx line on the data port, so the ECM doesn't attempt to syncronize with them. You may be able to get away with datalogging, but I still doubt it.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »
so I maybe able to wire up two plugs for use with another guage, but not have a guage working while tuning?

that would still be cheaper to run another gauge that way then buy the dual plug through aeroforce

well that idea is over.......on to building my airdam

Tuned by EFI Alchemy