Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Technical  » Electrical 
|- free tuning software? 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: free tuning software?  (Read 4165 times)

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
free tuning software?
« on: January 11, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »
i thought i read a topic about using a free software downloaded from the internet to tune ecus through usb-obd2 adapters.
anyone remember where i saw that?
my blazer is cooler than your s10

Re: free tuning software?

• QUITTER!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:46:08 PM »
i have an ELM 327 obd2 to serial to usb convertor in my hand now

hptuners, cats costs money, but it appears the freebie ones (assuming they work) are code scanners only.

is there a free equivalent of the mentioned first 2?

• QUITTER!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:57:43 PM »
25 dollars and it appears this can at least look at and has a nice gui
http://www.scantool.net/software/touchscan.html

anyone heard about it?

i guess i might as well download the 2 week free trial

• QUITTER!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »
talking to myself on this thread, but got palmerperformance's software working and reading the ecu.

I can now see the rpms, coolant temp, vehicle speed, o2 data, etc and also log it.
havent played with it much yet, but from playing with it, and watching the temp on the computer screen, it never gets over 196F therefore never opens the tstat. which explains the lack of temp data on the gauge.

cant really do anything about it till summer, since driving hard doesnt warm it up, and sitting still with engine spinning 2500rpm also cools it down lol

• Rep: +2/-0
    • MaconRacers
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:37:47 PM »
Yeah, I would have liked to add some input to this thread, but I've never looked into software for the truck.   Figured I'd post in here so you wouldn't feel lonely. lol

-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:09:37 AM »
I've been watching the thread hoping for more info on this but I had nothing useful to add so I didn't post  ;D

With the software you downloaded, can you data log or take an input from a wideband?
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 04:40:15 PM »
I've been watching the thread hoping for more info on this but I had nothing useful to add so I didn't post  ;D

With the software you downloaded, can you data log or take an input from a wideband?
yup, it has a place to log several different widebands.
AEM, innovate, to name 2 i remember off the top of my head

• QUITTER!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
found some freebie reading material.
http://books.google.com/books?id=RYsglAO9f8gC&pg=PA155&lpg=PA155&dq=using+laptop+as+a+car+gauges&source=bl&ots=bTeLs4bLbt&sig=Fi7Wv8Njo0xUtxLyFh4zYm0JLjo&hl=en&ei=1m80TYm_DIWKlweq09WhCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CFQQ6AEwBjgU#v=onepage&q=using%20laptop%20as%20a%20car%20gauges&f=false

anyways. I am now considering modifying my dash layout to incorporate a laptop.
I plan to still use the gauges i have now, but have the secondary laptop display for diagnostic, recording, and the nice speedometer function.
this should work well, since when i got the smaller steering wheel, my view of the more important gauges got covered up.
oops.

this does however mean a heavy re-do of the dash, and a need to figure out how to make the laptop LCD visible in bright areas as well.

from my google searching i am under the impression that separating the laptop LCD from the 'body' to be remote mounted is not an easy task.
not sure how i'll accomplish this but plenty of time to think about it before its really warm enough to matter lol

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 01:13:32 PM »
I hate Macs for many reasons but an Ipad would do the trick in that application.  Either that or a cheap netbook - I have an acer aspire 1 that cost $250 and has a 10" screen that would be easy to incorporate into a dash.  It has plenty of power for logging or whatever you'd use it for in that type of application.
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
I hate Macs for many reasons but an Ipad would do the trick in that application.  Either that or a cheap netbook - I have an acer aspire 1 that cost $250 and has a 10" screen that would be easy to incorporate into a dash.  It has plenty of power for logging or whatever you'd use it for in that type of application.
nah i want to spend no money on this.
i have an old toughbook laying around i plan to use. its ideal, just bulky.

• Rep: +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 05:15:40 AM »
If you're looking for code reading and data scanning, I've got to recommend smartphone based software.

I'm running "Torque" for the android OS and love it. The phone comes with me in the car anyways, doesn't hog the passenger seat like a laptop, and doesnt need a power inverter setup. As a bonus I can email datalogs to myself as soon as I record them and use google from the (parked) driver's seat to look up check engine codes.

Check it out.

http://torque-bhp.com/

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »
I just wish they had those for OBD1 too!