Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » Brakes 
|- Stock S10 Rear Disc swap? 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stock S10 Rear Disc swap?  (Read 7191 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
Stock S10 Rear Disc swap?
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »
Alright, i've been reading through the rear disc brake swap threads and all i've seen are either aftermarket kit's that are more expensive than i'm willing to pay or parts and pieces from different cars and even some cutting and drilling.

What i'm wondering is, do newer s10/blazer rear disc brakes swap onto first gen s10's?  Mine is a 93 so from what i've read it's a 4 bolt flange.  Is this a swap you can do by yanking stuff from the pick-your-part?  Does the e-brake still hook up? 

Also, did some first gen blazers come with rear disc?  I feel like i've read they did.  Perhaps it was bravada's?  I'm looking for a simply, cheap swap if at all possible and I really don't want to have to modify anything on my rear end.  If I could find it cheap enough i'd be happy to swap a whole zq8 rear diff. straight into the truck, but those are usually pricey or out of state.   Thanks for any info for the new guy!
93 Sonoma RCSB, 2.8 w/bolt on's.  ZQ8 leafs and rear bar, 3" blocks, ZQ8 Frame brace.   2" DJM Coils, UB Machine uppers, pro-forged tall ball joints, billet tie-rod adjusters, 32mm blazer front bar,  KYB GR2 shocks all around, trans-am steering box, Core performance short throw shifter.

Re: Stock S10 Rear Disc swap?

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
Yeah, the stock stuff will bolt right up if you have a 4 bolt flange rear end, but make sure you grab the e-brake cables from the vehicle you grab the disks off of, they're not quite identical.

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:05:09 PM »
If you can find a later model 2wd blazer/jimmy with rear disks the whole axle should swap right over.  It doesn't have to be a ZQ8, that made no difference in terms of brakes.  I've seen early 2nd gen blazers that still had drums in the rear so I suspect they were never available on 1st gens.
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
Hey thanks for the reply's.  I was specifying ZQ8 because I would like to have the anti hop shock tab already on the axle and wouldn't mind finding a set of zq8 leafs attached to the axle! 

Okay, so you specified 2wd.  Is that just because you were talking about the whole axle, which would be wider if it were a 4wd, or does that mean the brakes are different as well on the 4wd? 
93 Sonoma RCSB, 2.8 w/bolt on's.  ZQ8 leafs and rear bar, 3" blocks, ZQ8 Frame brace.   2" DJM Coils, UB Machine uppers, pro-forged tall ball joints, billet tie-rod adjusters, 32mm blazer front bar,  KYB GR2 shocks all around, trans-am steering box, Core performance short throw shifter.

• Donors
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:20:07 AM »
I think the brakes (or at least part of them) are different on the 4wd axle and the 4wd axle is 2" longer on each side.  The ZR2 4wd axle is 4" longer on each side.
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 08:13:24 AM »
ok, so i'll make sure i find a 2wd so i don't run into problems.    Thanks for the info everyone.

BTW, i just came across a deal for 98+ Blazer spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, complete set from a wrecking yard with turnable rotors for $160.  Is this about what everyone else has found the pricing to be?  It looks like the only way i may be able to get it cheaper is to wait for a 1/2 off day at the pick and pull, but it's rare to see those trucks out there, so i may not find it anyway.  I think $80 a side is pretty reasonable with a 2 month warranty in case the hubs are bad. 

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:01:07 AM »
With the warranty, yeah, but check out the hubs well and see if you can get the original miles of the vehicle they came off of.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »
sorry to dredge up an old post, but, does anyone know if the e-brake cables will connect directly to my stock forward cable?  i found a 2wd 98 blazer 4 door with disc brakes and sway bar and i'm going to yank it if everything will work.  I'm hoping that it's just the forward cable that will be longer because of it being 4dr.

if it turns out the back cables are incorrect, does anyone know if i can just get newer brake cables for a RCSB s10, like an extreme?

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 12:07:50 PM »
I haven't hooked up the cables on mine, but that is what I'm hoping too.  Otherwise I'll be doing some fabrication to make it work.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 02:09:18 PM »
All I can compare it to is my 2DR blazer, but the stock cable absolutely won't work on mine.

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »
i'm really hoping i can figure something out as well, i can't go without my parking brake.  5sp. plus it's just engrained in me to use it everytime i park.  I used to live in the hills and just got used to doing it all the time i guess.

If i find out this rear end has some gear issues or something like that, will i run into any problems just swapping over the brakes to my truck?   I keep reading about the bracket being off by like a 1/4" or something.

Offline GM
  • Donors
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »
Clutch do you mean you will just swap your truck rear from drum to disc? If you're doing that yes you will need a small spacer. You can just buy some pipe and cut it and make suito washers/spacers. I think it was 3/8" spacers I had to make for mine and they were perfect.

I think it was Hector who did a really good write up on the e-brake conversion. I'll see if I can find it.

edit* found it. - http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73499

^ One of the best swap how-to's and all of the e-brake info is just the cherry on top.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:21:04 PM by GM »

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
awesome!  that's great, thanks for the link!  i'm probably going to go ahead and get the whole axle, but if stuff is munched inside, or if the gears stink,  i'll swap everything over.  i have a 93, so i won't have to do the hack and chop, it'll just be a little creativity to get the e-brake cables ran.  probably end up getting ZR2 cables like someone suggested in the thread.  then it's all factory stuff.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 04:43:06 PM »
i'll have stock 7-5/8 rear end cables when i pull it out if someone wants them.
no plans to retain parking brake function
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 07:06:50 AM »
i'll have stock 7-5/8 rear end cables when i pull it out if someone wants them.
no plans to retain parking brake function

Did you have discs?  Those might be the perfect candidate for my long bed.

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »
on 4wd the caliper is flipped to the front side of the axle for frame clearance.....also you can use your stock e-brake cables....i'll post the link when i'm on my other computer...you basiclly cut some of the spring off the cable and loop it around the e-brake finger and use a cable clamp

found it http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showpost.php?p=774773&postcount=28
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 03:40:43 PM by VortecBlazer »

Tuned by EFI Alchemy

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »
Did you have discs?  Those might be the perfect candidate for my long bed.
Sorry no, still had the drum rear. but if the cables work for you, they're yours.

on 4wd the caliper is flipped to the front side of the axle for frame clearance.....also you can use your stock e-brake cables....i'll post the link when i'm on my other computer...you basiclly cut some of the spring off the cable and loop it around the e-brake finger and use a cable clamp

found it http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showpost.php?p=774773&postcount=28
are all 4wd axles that way? i know blazer/s10s of the 2nd gens have different caliper locations too
my blazer is cooler than your s10

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 09:26:28 PM »
I can't remember if it was only the 4wd blazers or both trucks and blazers have the calipers filpped

Tuned by EFI Alchemy