Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » Brakes 
|- 4WABS Swap 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4WABS Swap  (Read 6008 times)

• Donors
  • Rep: +2/-0
4WABS Swap
« on: October 18, 2011, 05:08:54 PM »
I am wanting to put 4wal brakes on my 93, but need advice on what direction to go in. It came with a rwal system from the factory, but I am an idiot and cut it all out when I did my v8 swap. I was thinking a system from a s10 or blazer would be the easiest to integrate with minimal mods. The truck will still be down for a while and can get everything I need from pic a part so I think this swap could be done for reasonably cheap.

Reason why I want to do this, after driving the wife's alero around the autox coarse, I can run it much faster into the corners and get back on the throttle sooner with an abs system, as, I didn't have to worry about lockup. I will be doing a LS1 front brake swap and already have blazer rear discs. I had all 4 lock up on me last may at the last event I took the truck too, which sent me spinning out mid curve. With an abs system that could be avoidable.

Would a 1st/ early 2nd gen blazer system work well without a lot of work?

What about a late 2nd gen blazer system as its already setup for 4 wheel discs and dual piston calipers. I don't know how its integrated into the computer system of the truck though, but I know the late 1st gen early second gen is close to what I have now,computer wise, anyway. I just don't know how well they work.

Was also thinking of doing some sort of traction control setup too, but think that may end up being a lot of work, and haven't quit decided if I like it on the alero yet or not. If this works out well my 94 may get 4wabs as well.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:11:36 PM by baktrak09 »

Re: 4WABS Swap

• Rep: +1/-1
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:40:11 AM »
actually the traction control would take less than an afternoon to install. I know a few guys that have traction control on their late models. It costs a pretty penny but it is effective, and it does not have any part of the brake system. Only the ignition.

I think that 4 wheel disc is great mod to do, but i wouldn't worry about ABS.
"I wanna go fast!"
2000 Blazer ZR2

• Donors
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:00:01 AM »
I can get all the parts I need dirt cheap, and ease of install isn't really a concern as much as cost, the truck will be down until its 100% complete, so doing this would be something relatively cheap to do while I gather parts for the lsx swap and finish the body work.

Just need advice on what direction to go in on this, I know for me personally it would be a good mod. My stock brakes lock up way to easily as it is, and going bigger will make it worse.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »
i wouldnt use the stock s10 controller. too slow to be useful on a track.
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Rep: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »
I can get all the parts I need dirt cheap, and ease of install isn't really a concern as much as cost, the truck will be down until its 100% complete, so doing this would be something relatively cheap to do while I gather parts for the lsx swap and finish the body work.

Just need advice on what direction to go in on this, I know for me personally it would be a good mod. My stock brakes lock up way to easily as it is, and going bigger will make it worse.

i'm following baktrak's lead in how to control bigger brakes , and installing traction control i'm a newbie there .

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »
I guess you got me there. I wouldn't know where to start with what you would need to make a newer factory abs module work on an older model.
I think you might find that once you have good suspension, brakes, and tires, it will stop quite a bit better. Also, look into an adjustable proportioning valve, or a brake bias system.

"I wanna go fast!"
2000 Blazer ZR2

• QUITTER!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:17:08 PM »
I dont know if the stock GM ECU can do it, but traction control is usually just a software function, cutting spark/fuel etc based on wheelspeed data.
so minimum you need wheelspeed sensors on each corner.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »
If you have good brakes on your rig, and by that I mean calipers that apply pressure to both sides of the rotors, good pads, good rotors on all 4 corners, and you are still locking up the brakes too easily. get rid of the brake booster, and install a high performance, manual master cylinder. Going one step further than that you could get a 2 master cylinder and pedal kit that allows you to control, and adjust the bias between front and back.

You will have a much better feel of the pedal and are less likely, but just as able, to lock up the brakes.
"I wanna go fast!"
2000 Blazer ZR2

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:49:44 PM »
Green, the system I mentioned is pretty much the same except the wheel speed sensor is actually a drive shaft/ yoke speed sensor. It is basically an encoder for a speed sensor, and it looks for drastic positive RPM changes based on parameters the user can control. It uses timing advance/ retard to control power rather than cutting out the ignition so it is not detectable by ear.

This system is a cheater system for circle track guys that aren't supposed to be running ABS or traction control. That's why the need for discretion in reaction by the traction control system. It kinda makes the car sound as though the drive shaft is made out of bungie cords. Not like it's hitting a rev limiter.
"I wanna go fast!"
2000 Blazer ZR2

• Donors
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »
Manual brakes are out of the question, will never have manual brakes again after having my 85 with manual brakes. I am on a limited budget, so the price for a brake system like mentioned is out of the budget right off the bat.

I may go ahead and take the plunge and hit the j/y and pull everything for the abs that I think I will need and use the 94 to set it up and decide if its worth it on the 93

I am still in the research phase, I am also looking to see how other cars are controlled. If there are better systems from newer cars that are controlled close to what the s10's use then I may be able to get something better to work.

I took a 03 xtreme excab around the autox and was able to run better times as I could dive into the corners faster because they werent locking up with that 4wabs. My truck handled better but the brakes are really hurting the times.

• Donors
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
The traction control on my wife's car applies a little brake pressure to the wheel that is slipping, thats how quit a few of the imports do it also, Its a system contained within the abs system.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
there are aftermarket retrofit ABS kits out there, dunno the cost of them though.

I think the S-series never got 4wheel ABS.... just 3 wheel... (2 front, 1 rear)
and the regular ECU controls it?

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »
I respect the almighty budget man.
"I wanna go fast!"
2000 Blazer ZR2

• Donors
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 02:23:11 PM »
The aftermarket systems are outrageously expensive, plus most arent good for street use. I could be happy with 2 front 1 back as it would still apply the brakes were I need it most, up front. With the back lifting upon braking anyway, which is why most newer s10's came with rear abs anyway.

Using a factory junkyard system will probably end up being alot cheaper than just about any other brake mods I can do, I should be able to pick everything up for less than $100 and if it doesnt work out I aint out that much.

I am still tbi at the monent, but I may have to go to a newer computer as I dont know if it would be compatible with the 7747 computer I am using. But if I go lsx then I may end up having to rewire everything anyway. May have to find a way to make it standalone.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 03:29:46 PM »
if it helps, you can have my black ecu from my 98 for $10

• Donors
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 03:32:51 PM »
It seems that the 3 channel abs from a 98+ fbody will swap fairly easily and is pretty much a standalone system. the only problem I see right now is that the s10 use a 52 tooth ring, and the f body uses a 47.
The 4 channel could be swapped if I can figure how to get reluctors behind the rear rotors.

Its seems most pre 2005-06 cars are pretty much standalone and shouldnt require much input from any computer as the wheel speed sensors give practically all of the input needed

Offline GM
  • Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »
This is a great topic.
When you get the fbody unit out would you mind weighing it? I was considering using a newer s-series abs system but it weighs so much. I bet it's close to what a battery weighs.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »
This is a great topic.
When you get the fbody unit out would you mind weighing it? I was considering using a newer s-series abs system but it weighs so much. I bet it's close to what a battery weighs.

Agreed, the 98-00 is a beast. The mid 2000-2005 abs pumps are half the size.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 02:47:03 PM »
S2000 ABS swap info here..
may be interesting for you ABS wanters
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg16933#msg16933