Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Motorvation & Drivetrain  » General Engine Tech 
|- Side exit exhaust 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Side exit exhaust  (Read 7261 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
Side exit exhaust
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »
We dont' have an exhaust section, so I figured this was the best place for it, if not please move it mods.  Thanks

As the title says, i'm curious about a side exit exhaust.  I live in california, so i have to retain the cat and would like to keep my borla muffler.  I took a quick look at it last night and i'm pretty sure there's enough room to do it without too many restrictive bends. 

I'm hoping you guys have some pictures.  I've been scouring the net for some, but wanted some real input from some people that have it. For instance,  does it drone really badly in the cab?  Did you go over the frame and under the bed or over the frame and through the bed side, or between the frame and the leafs? 

Just to clarify i'm looking to come out before the rear tire, not after.  I also REALLY like the look of it coming through the bedside, but all of the heat plates/tips whatever you call them, that bolt to the body for the exhaust to come through are REALLY expensive!  Anyone make their own?  Thanks
93 Sonoma RCSB, 2.8 w/bolt on's.  ZQ8 leafs and rear bar, 3" blocks, ZQ8 Frame brace.   2" DJM Coils, UB Machine uppers, pro-forged tall ball joints, billet tie-rod adjusters, 32mm blazer front bar,  KYB GR2 shocks all around, trans-am steering box, Core performance short throw shifter.

Re: Side exit exhaust

• Rep: +1/-1
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:33:14 PM »
I've seen mufflers that have the inlet and outlet on the same end of the muffler for side exit exhaust. Check out this link, its for a challenger but you should get the point.
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/10/files/2011/06/CHALLV6CBSE-1.jpg

As for the deflection plate, once your hole s cut in the body and you exhaust is sticking out, draw a good looking shape on to a piece of 1/16" stainless, and a hole that contours your exhaust pipe and cut it out. Rivet it to the body.
"I wanna go fast!"
2000 Blazer ZR2

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:36:34 PM »
I'm actually heading to the exhaust shop to get a quote right now. I think your right, I don't need any fancy tips from online, just a nice piece of plate around the tip and it should look pretty sweet. Depending on how much they quote me to re-route the exhaust I might get it done this week. I'll post pics if I do. Thanks
93 Sonoma RCSB, 2.8 w/bolt on's.  ZQ8 leafs and rear bar, 3" blocks, ZQ8 Frame brace.   2" DJM Coils, UB Machine uppers, pro-forged tall ball joints, billet tie-rod adjusters, 32mm blazer front bar,  KYB GR2 shocks all around, trans-am steering box, Core performance short throw shifter.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »
Cool, keep us posted. If it does require doing a hole cut in the frame, I've heard that you should make the hole larger than exhaust by 10% ish, and then weld plate material around the hole. I was told that you could just use 1" wide strips of .125" or .25" thick steal and make a box around the hole in the frame.
"I wanna go fast!"
2000 Blazer ZR2

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »
I have to say, if I was going to bore a big ass hole in the frame, it would get boxed for 2" to either side of the hole and get a tube welded though the boxed frame then have the exhaust pass through that.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:46:08 PM »
I would like to pass it through the frame, but i don't have the skill or materials to properly box the frame around a pass through.  I'm just going to go over the frame with the pipe, yea, it's a little restrictive, but probably no more than going over the rear axle and all the way out the back of the truck. 

I still haven't started working on it.  The exhaust shop wanted $200 bucks to change the tail pipe, so i'm going to work on pre-fabbing it for them, so all they have to do is bend a pipe to my specs and then weld it in, should bring the cost down significantly. 

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »
I have to say, if I was going to bore a big ass hole in the frame, it would get boxed for 2" to either side of the hole and get a tube welded though the boxed frame then have the exhaust pass through that.
I would do the same too. I like the idea of having a tube thru a boxed frame.
I'm not sure if clutch's rig has a boxed in frame either, but assuming the frame is not boxed in, how would you handle it? What about a gusseted notch at the top side of the frame. Like a small "C" notch bolt in kit for example, just on the top of the frame.

Otherwise Clutch, you could bring the exhaust around/ outside the frame at, or below the front leaf spring shackle and do a U turn and then dump it out in front of the back wheel. I don't know how much ground clearance you have to work with.
"I wanna go fast!"
2000 Blazer ZR2

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »
frame is not boxed, so it would make it even more difficult.  and no, i have very little ground clearance, at least once my suspension is installed.  starting on it this saturday! woot!   

I'm pretty sure just jumping over the frame won't be that big of a deal. especially since i'm going to angle my muffler up towards the rear so it wont be such a drastic bend.