Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Body and Interior  » Body and Interior 
|- Bucket seats 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bucket seats  (Read 9054 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
Bucket seats
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:39:04 PM »
Alright everyone, I know this same subject has been covered on lot's of s10 websites, but i'm hoping for a quick compilation of info.  There's a 50% off day this weekend at my pick and pull and i'm really needing some bucket seats.   

I'm going to try and list what i've read in the past for what fits 1st gen s10's.  If i'm incorrect please educate me, I want to know all of my options so i know what cars to search for while i'm there. 

Sunfire seats... What years?
Cavalier Seats...  What years?
F-Body Seats... What years?

I have a set of Blazer bucket seats that are thrashed, but I can rob the brackets off of them.  I need to know if all of these seats will bolt to those brackets and then bolt into the stock locations in my truck.

Thanks for any info you guys can share.  My stock bench is really starting to show it's age.   

93 Sonoma RCSB, 2.8 w/bolt on's.  ZQ8 leafs and rear bar, 3" blocks, ZQ8 Frame brace.   2" DJM Coils, UB Machine uppers, pro-forged tall ball joints, billet tie-rod adjusters, 32mm blazer front bar,  KYB GR2 shocks all around, trans-am steering box, Core performance short throw shifter.

Re: Bucket seats

• Rep: +2/-0
    • MaconRacers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
cavalier/sunfire seats are pretty easy to install.  You unbolt the s10 sliders from the stock seats, drill 2 new holes on the backside of the bottom of the sunfire seats, and bolt the s10 sliders onto the sunbird seats.

2-dr j-body have rear entry seats (they lean and slide forward to let people in the back) and 4-dr models do not.

-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:24:27 PM »
awesome, thanks for the info.  i'll make sure to look for 2 door if i end up going with the cavi one's.   I'm really hoping to find some out of an f body.  Are they pretty much the same?  Just drill new holes in the base and bolt the blazer bucket tracks on?   
93 Sonoma RCSB, 2.8 w/bolt on's.  ZQ8 leafs and rear bar, 3" blocks, ZQ8 Frame brace.   2" DJM Coils, UB Machine uppers, pro-forged tall ball joints, billet tie-rod adjusters, 32mm blazer front bar,  KYB GR2 shocks all around, trans-am steering box, Core performance short throw shifter.

• Donors
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
When I installed my cavi seats I didnt have to drill any holes at all. All 4 bolt holes were already there.

j body seats are more comfortable and more supportive than f body seats IMHO.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 03:53:44 PM »
all four holes for each bucket?  did you already have bucket seats in your truck or a bench? 

so you think j body seats are better than f body huh?   i guess i'll have to sit in a few different one's.  pardon my ignorance, but what years cavalier or sunfires fit?  are they all the same seats?

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »
When I swapped in my blazer buckets temporarily in the 1st gen I didn't quickly find the extra holes.  I didn't look too hard, since I wasn't going to be driving it around much.

What are you looking for in the seat swap?  Just something not worn out or looking to gain some lateral support too?  Ryo swapped in my early 90's Civic Si seats and from what I remember they were pretty comfortable while still being very supportive laterally on the few times I rode in them.  Great bolsters.  He also spoke highly enough of them that I snagged a pair from the junkyard for when the Blazer gets back on the road.  They'll probably require more fab work to fit than the swaps that have been done before.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »
Well, i'm looking for a complete package, better condition than my current bench, comfortable, a little bit of support would be nice and easy to bolt in is the main part.  I just happen to like the look and feel of f-body seats, but i'll definately check out the Cavi seats as well.   Again, what years are direct bolt in?

So back to the mounting holes.  Are you saying once you took a good look, ie. pulled up the carpet, the truck already had the provisions for the inner bolts?  I was under the impression that you had to either bolt through the floor, or remove the bolts/tabs from a donor truck in the junk yard.

• Donors
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »
Never mind I have an ex cab with buckets DUH on my part. Going from a bench you will have to drill the 4 inner holes. I think but dont quote me on it, but the second gens already have the bolts for buckets.

95-05 j body seats are a bolt in using the s10/blazer tracks. I believe the tracks are different between 2wd and 4wd as the floors are different, if you have a 2wd you will need 2wd seat tracks.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »
2-dr j-body have rear entry seats (they lean and slide forward to let people in the back) and 4-dr models do not.
once you bolt them to the s10 sliders you lose the slide forwards function.
I had sunfire seats for a while too, I required 2 holes per seat as well.
I really liked them, very comfortable for long road trips, but very little lateral support. yea, better than the stock 60/40 bench i had, but wasnt too great for hard driving. I think the 4th gen Fbody seats have more lateral support, but from a comfort perspective i like the cavy/sunfire seats better.

Ryo swapped in my early 90's Civic Si seats and from what I remember they were pretty comfortable while still being very supportive laterally on the few times I rode in them.  Great bolsters.  He also spoke highly enough of them that I snagged a pair from the junkyard for when the Blazer gets back on the road.  They'll probably require more fab work to fit than the swaps that have been done before.
as Harley said, I really liked the crx si seats i had. they required an adapter plate on one side to bolt to the s10 rails, and some shims to bring the other side up to even. yes more work than the cavy seats, but i was able to get them to work while in high school when i didnt even know how to do an oil change, with minimal hand tools, and an electric drill
very comfortable, great bolsters, very rigid, and stylish seats.
I believe they are actually recaro seats.
oh and im not exactly sure if the civic si seats are the same or not, as the crx seats i had did not bolt directly into the 91 civic i had for a while. close, but bolt spacing was slightly off (ended up just welding them to the civic rails.

my blazer is cooler than your s10

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »
[/quote]once you bolt them to the s10 sliders you lose the slide forwards function.

Can you clarify?  The slide forward when wanting to access behind them, or you loose forward and backward adjustment of the seat in general? 

Well, i'm looking for comfort and for bolstering, i think i'm just going to have to sit in both and see what i like the best and what's available at the junkyard. 

My biggest thing is just to make sure that once i mount the blazer seat tracks to the seats, whether its cavi or f-body that they will still bolt into the truck.  I'm planning on ripping out the stock bucket seat mount tabs at the pick and pull while i'm there, so i'm going to weld those in instead of just drilling holes and shimming.  seems safer to me.   Thanks for the input everyone! 

one last thing.  if i choose f-body seats, does anyone know what years i have to choose from? 

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 06:27:50 AM »
I'm really not trying to offend anyone but I must be the only person in the S10 world that really hates cavi/sunfire seats.  I find the proportions look totally wrong in an S10 and they just look a bit chintzy. I've sat in them a few times and recall them feeling really cheap as well.  Just my opinion :P
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:05:05 AM »
Can you clarify?  The slide forward when wanting to access behind them, or you loose forward and backward adjustment of the seat in general? 
one last thing.  if i choose f-body seats, does anyone know what years i have to choose from? 
most people mount the seats on the s10 rails, which allows for the usual adjusting, but wont slide forwards automatically when you flip the seat forwards. although with a 2dr blazer seat rail things may be different (assuming the blazer stock seats slide forwards as they flip, i dont know)
only f-body seats I've seen used are the 4th gens. not sure what the 3rd gen seats look or feel like.

I'm really not trying to offend anyone but I must be the only person in the S10 world that really hates cavi/sunfire seats.  I find the proportions look totally wrong in an S10 and they just look a bit chintzy. I've sat in them a few times and recall them feeling really cheap as well.  Just my opinion :P
i agree they look and feel cheap, but that's why they fit so well in an s10?
imo, an s10 is a cavalier of the truck world. of course $800 seats will look and feel better, but then they kinda look outta place in a cheap'ol s10? :p

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
I agree but I just think that there are a lot of better junkyard options that can still be had on the cheap.
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 10:05:42 AM »
I agree but I just think that there are a lot of better junkyard options that can still be had on the cheap.
im sure thats true, but as much as everyone talks about wanting to be different, everyone loves tried-and-true easy mods. everyone knows the cavy seats are a 2-hole-drill and bolt-in affair, so it's well embraced. same with the 4th gen fbody seats.
not to mention abundance in the junkyards.

i enjoyed the seats i had in my 97 expresso neon (i think they were the same as the r/t seats)
was jealous of the golf gti mk4(i think?) seats my friend had, etc. subaru seats are pretty nice too. I have yet to sit in a nissan with seats I like though.

• MaconRacers
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »
Cavi seats are not amazing, but they are a 100x more comfortable than the stock seats. 

plus i got my set for free out of a car that someone was scraping.
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »
Found a set of black cavi seats out of a 2004 or something.  Really good condition, just needs to be cleaned up a bit.  I'll post pics once I install them.   Found a bucket seat s10 as well and took the time to drill the spot welds out and chisel out the stock floor mount tabs.  Going to weld them in so these things bolt in like factory.  Should be pretty slick when i'm done.   thanks for the help everyone!