Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » General Suspension 
|- F150 Swaybar end-links on S10 chassis? 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: F150 Swaybar end-links on S10 chassis?  (Read 8174 times)

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
Re: F150 Swaybar end-links on S10 chassis?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 12:36:14 AM »
I found an intersting link while digging around today, it's for the early 90s crown vics and town cars, it has a built in offset, but still looks too long. I went ahead and e-mailed Pro-Forged about us wanting a link for our chassis. I guess we'll see what they come up with.

Crown Vic Link: 113-10070

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 11:26:11 AM »
Stock length links on a lowered truck make the sway bar ineffective. When I shortened my end links to make the bar parallel to the ground it felt like an entirely new vehicle. They really need to be short to properly leverage the bar, at least with OEM style links.
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 01:45:55 PM »
Pro-Forged has links available for our chassis, but it is pretty much a replica of the stock piece.

The stock links are about 4.8" long from the control arm to the sway bar according to the prints I pulled today.  Sounds like Rented Mules setup is around 3.3" in that case, so we're aiming for a link about 3-3.5" between the mounting points if using the stock mounting configuration and shortened length.

There's a local Advance Auto that says they have one of the 2009 F150 2wd links in stock, so I'm planning to stop by there tonight to measure.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 05:43:37 AM »
Stopped by Advance Auto like I mentioned.

2009 F150 2WD links are about 5.25" long.  There's about 2" of bar between the ball joints, so not enough room to shorten into the 3-3.5" range.  The ball joints themselves are the largest contributor to length by design.

2006 F150 2WD links were a bit shorter.  4.75" was my estimate measuring the link and the bushing.  That would be the stock length replacement, but with a spring drop the sway wouldn't be parallel to the ground.  These could be easier to shorten than the double ball joint links.

The 90* joints seem like the most versatile for what we're looking for still.  I'll have to browse and get a list to go measure again to really get an idea of what our options are.

• Donors
  • Rep: +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 11:00:12 PM »
maybe these could be of some use, do not know total length but can be found on ebay for fairly cheap.

• Right Hand
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +7/-1
  • Have Money, just can't use it = Sad Panda.
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 11:14:14 PM »
Pull load isn't nearly high enough on any of the machinist grade joints, I've looked at them from more companies than I can count anymore. Unless we happen across a really short set off the shelf, the global west solution may well still be the best one.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »
I went with the 2006 F150 links on the Isuzu with the ZQ8 springs up front. I didn't do any back to back comparison of any sort, but it hasn't bent anything yet and handles decent for a street truck.

I picked up a Mazda3 end link from the yard last week and it looks like a good candidate for the Blazer with the tubular control arms. Getting the sway mounting and bumpstops worked out on my control arms is on my agenda for this week. When Rentedmule and Ryo talk about making the bar parallel could you expand on that? The bar arm is bent, so there are several configurations that I could consider parallel. Rentedmule do you have a side shot of your bar? I can pretty much put the end link wherever I want, so trying to make the most of that.

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 08:13:46 AM »
I can't find any pics at ride height but this shows the current link length (and how poor the alignment is) - I think when I did it, it was obvious that the bar was pointing up towards the cab before cutting the endlinks. I'd have to look through my old threads (most on S10Planet, which is now dead) but I think I cut a few inches out of the stock links. 

03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 05:22:37 PM »
in an ideal world the bar's "wings" would be perpendicular to the endlink, which would be intersecting the virtual control arm plane (3 points make a plane) perpendicularly as well.

As long as the joints don't bind, pretty much anything goes. some OE designs look pretty terrible but they must work enough for them to spend money into making them.
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »
I'm playing in the sand, so have some opportunity to get close to ideal. I know the top of the swing of the sway bar and will know the max suspension travel too, but don't know if those will coincide or not after setting up the bar at ride height.

Should I be thinking virtual "wings" on the sway bar too? Taking a line from the rotation point to the endlink attachment? Or using the actual angle of the bar at the endlink?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:20:13 AM by Harley »

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »
virtual wings definitely.
my blazer is cooler than your s10