Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » General Suspension 
|- Looking for input on suspension and tires 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for input on suspension and tires  (Read 1842 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
Looking for input on suspension and tires
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »
Ok I am going to be building a 2000 sonoma reg cab shortbed 2wd. Here are the plans so far. L33 5.3 with t56 swap, 8.8 rear with 4 link and vette brakes, ls1 front disc brake upgrade. The truck is going to be a daily driver but will also see track runs so I want it low and wide. So my questions are

Would I be safe running a 295/35R18 in the back and 275/35R17 in the front? Also what should I do with the front suspension to provide the best handling? And lastly (and I know this one is a tall order) Since this truck will be daily driven I would like to have a comfortable ride aswell. Are all these things possible?

Re: Looking for input on suspension and tires

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:11:14 PM »
With the right offset something along the lines of a 315 wide tire can be fit out back.  Up front I fit 275/40R17 on my Isuzu RCSB without much trouble other than spacing the steering stops out from the control arm 1/4" to keep the tires from rubbing. That was on a 17x9 wheel with 0 offset.  Again, with the right offset this could be improved upon, but I didn't try any spacers.

Ride height will have an effect on how well tires fit too. I didn't go lower than the factory 1.5" + another 0.5" from tall lower ball joints as I didn't want to push the roll center too low.

For a street setup I always suggest Xtreme/ZQ8 springs + tall lower ball joint, and fresh rubber control arm bushings with an offset crossshaft to help with alignment. I've run 0.5 camber, 5.5 caster, and slight toe in with that setup and been happy. A new ZQ8 steering box, a U joint to replace the rag joint in the steering shaft, and fresh steering linkage will really tighten everything up. To go lower a 2" spindle is the best option as any shorter of a spring really pushes the roll center low and control arms quickly run out of travel.

Next level would be a Tall Upper Ball Joint and a shorter Upper Control Arm.  There are several Control Arm options out there UB machine, Speedway, Spohn, UMI, SPC, etc. Some are adjustable, some aren't.

Bolt in coil over kits are an option, but the shock and spring mounts aren't aligned perfectly on our trucks, so while they work some have had issues like worn out shocks or odd wear on the springs. QA1 only has spring rates up to 650lbs, which might not be enough. Rentedmule is fairly happy with his 550 on his extended cab from what I gather, but wouldn't mind a higher rate. I'll be trying 650 on my Blazer.

To the real extreme the spring mounts/cups could be cut out and the frame smoothed over to add a standard 2" coil over to the outside of the frame. Lots of room to improve over the stock spring and shock geometry with this and lots more spring and shock options.

With any of the setups comfort will most likely depend on the bushings you use. I stick with new rubber for the street, but with the Body on Frame design of a truck a stiffer bushing material could be used with out the severe harshness depending on your tolerance.  Good sound deadening makes a difference in the perceived harshness too.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:16:50 PM by Harley »

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
That all sounds pretty good. Im not that knowledgable when it  comes to suspension, handling, how it works and whats best. Sounds like I gotta plenty of research to do on the parts you mentioned so I can better understand their purpose. Thanks for your input

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 04:40:23 PM »
The 35 series tires are gonna make it ride rough. No sidewall to absorb bumps.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 05:11:22 PM »
The 35 series tires are gonna make it ride rough. No sidewall to absorb bumps.

How much side wall should I go with for a comfortable ride?

Also does the ridetech airbar systems provide good handling and traction? Its air so Im sure it has a good ride quality

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »
Also has anybody installed a 4 link with a 8.8 rear end? I was just reading about those rear ends being cast and you cant weld to them.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 12:24:43 PM »
275/40R17 is the commonly available size for a 17x9 wheel. There isn't much out there taller than that in a performance tire. I've looked.

I have little to no experience with air ride, so can't help you there personally, but several companies do advertise their air systems as capable of handling.

Most factory rear ends have a cast iron differential and mild steel axle tubes, so you'll find yourself in that situation with most axles. Most of the bolt on link kits out there use the differential cover bolt pattern for a large bracket to mount the uppers.  Could go with an offset 3 link or parallel 4 link and control the axle laterally with a panhard or watts link. Or angle the uppers on a triangulated 4 link inward from the outside of the axle. Lots of choices that don't involve welding to the pig.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:41:23 AM by Harley »

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
tuning an air suspension sucks.
coils are so much easier to change
my blazer is cooler than your s10