Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Member Forums  » Members S10\Blazer Projects 
|- loooong bed project 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: loooong bed project  (Read 16133 times)

• Rep: +0/-0
Re: loooong bed project
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 12:18:47 PM »
yes

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 01:37:52 PM »
That sounds terrible.  Wow.

• Daily Driver..
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 01:41:23 PM »
Movie works,can't really say that for poor little 4.3 :'(
A TRUE hot rodder is NEVER finished with a project.

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 08:46:46 PM »
hmmmm....

sounds like its time for a brick on the throttle. make sure to use a fast video camera so you can do slo motion film of the rod exiting the block.

i see that your planning on an ls motor. you stuck on that, or would a 4.3, old style small block, or other powertrain be an options?

cause a standard early small blockwill keeo your trans, and have readily availible parts. should be able to find one pretty cheap, too.

or, just for cool factor, go with a northstar motor. 300 horse outta the box, and just evil sounding at full song.

michael

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »
cause a standard early small block will keep your trans, and have readily available parts. should be able to find one pretty cheap, too.

Agreed. I'm running a Vortec 5.7l and it was a cheap and quick swap. Same trans too.

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »
cause a standard early small block will keep your trans, and have readily available parts. should be able to find one pretty cheap, too.

Agreed. I'm running a Vortec 5.7l and it was a cheap and quick swap. Same trans too.
i don't want to keep my trans. its a stupid 4l60e with 200k miles on it.
i need a manual. T56 anyone?

and no, im not set on an ls, but it will have to be a v8, sick of having not enough cylinders lol

as for the cool factor, with my limited knowledge on engines, id rather keep it as simple and as common as possible. especially if harley is doing a 5.3, he'll be a tremendous help
my blazer is cooler than your s10

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 09:05:33 AM »

and no, im not set on an ls, but it will have to be a v8, sick of having not enough cylinders lol

as for the cool factor, with my limited knowledge on engines, id rather keep it as simple and as common as possible. especially if harley is doing a 5.3, he'll be a tremendous help

The only reason I suggested the same trans was for $ savings. I had my solenoids replaced and a full inspection as a precaution on my 4l60e. Shift points and firmness were moved up. It pulls hard all the way to 95mph. 5.3/5.7 will be your easiest swaps. Harley, correct me if I'm wrong, but you will need a custom adapter for the T56.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2009, 11:05:43 AM »

The only reason I suggested the same trans was for $ savings. I had my solenoids replaced and a full inspection as a precaution on my 4l60e. Shift points and firmness were moved up. It pulls hard all the way to 95mph. 5.3/5.7 will be your easiest swaps. Harley, correct me if I'm wrong, but you will need a custom adapter for the T56.

I'm near certain an LT1 style T56 bolts up to small blocks and vortecs, but requires you to run LT1 clutches and flywheels which are pricey and getting rare.  An LSx style bell housing requires a spacer/adapter for the older motors, but lets you run LSx clutches which are more common and can be cheaper.  If he's doing a Gen III or IV V8 (which is what he is talking about) the LSx style bell housing will bolt right up.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 02:09:40 PM »
compression check on the s10...

front
170__133
???__160
170__180

didnt feel like pulling the steering shaft outa the way so didnt bother with that one.

sooo... possibly replacing the bearings will let it run? if its just bottom end?

• IWTTMB
  • Rep: +14/-0
  • Burn 'em all
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 08:52:51 PM »
see if this works.... not sure why its so small... need help making it bigger to see

Is that your best pick up line, or what..?
If you can't say anything nice.. post it on the internet!

2002 S10 Xtreme
1953 Ford Fordor
1972 Datsun 240Z

Need some parts..? http://protourings10.com/index.php?topic=950.0

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 10:33:49 PM »
the 133 sounds lke a mostly dead hole. may want to do an actual leakdown test and see if the valves are ok. if they are, which i doubt with those numbers, pull the pan and see how bad the crank and mains are scored. with the sound of it, theyll need polished. you may get lucky and only have to put bearings in it though.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 12:14:23 AM »
So... been thinking.
how much trouble would it be to make a carbed v8 setup work?
that means I can pull ALL the wiring out, and run the donor (truck?)'s harness right?
since the 4l60e wont like that id have to use the donor's trans (stick please) and shouldnt be too hard to adapt the clutch pedal assm in either...
all gauges can be the donor's as well...?

am i thinking this correctly?

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 05:21:36 AM »
a carbd v-8 would e simple

use a 305-5 speed from a camaro, or a stick from a 4.3 s10, vette, etc. all are hydraulic clutches. should adapt easily to the s10 stuff.

as far as gauges and wiring, i think id do a full painless harness, aftermarket gauges, and be done.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
I have an adaptor plate to run an LS1 T56 behind a 4.3 or SBC... LT1 T56s will bolt right up, but not nearly the clutch selection with that setup.

My only thought on the carb is keeping the motor fueled under high braking loads.  As long as ZZ4Blazer has had the Z06 brakes up front he has complained about the bowls going dry.  May be an issue in the corners too.  He can't wait to go to EFI or newer.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »
I would love a t56 but been looking into costs and seems its just not quite worth buying over a t5 at this point.

I am worried about that too, but budget is tight and i just cant go v8 with a slushbox.
which ups the cost a lot more.

seems i can get a running 305/350 for about $350 and a T5 for another $350..
a clutch pedal assm i can salvage outta a junkyard for what, $100? , Harley, wanna post those PG cost lists again? I dont remember where they went

Friend is working on Megasquirt for his mustang now so maybe he can help out if i decide to go fuel injected.

I have an adaptor plate to run an LS1 T56 behind a 4.3 or SBC... LT1 T56s will bolt right up, but not nearly the clutch selection with that setup.

My only thought on the carb is keeping the motor fueled under high braking loads.  As long as ZZ4Blazer has had the Z06 brakes up front he has complained about the bowls going dry.  May be an issue in the corners too.  He can't wait to go to EFI or newer.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »
so after a long period of going back and forth, I just spent $160 deposit on a 5.3, gonna go pay $240 more and pick it up with Harley tomorrow. ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 07:34:23 AM »
:D

Seeing as this is at least the third V8 I've recovered with this truck I was asking myself a question this morning. "What came first the V8 or the V8 hauler"

OK OK I'm done.

I will put together the information I've gathered for my swap at some point today and start a new thread.

• ...it's easy if you want to do it
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 06:56:07 PM »
so after a long period of going back and forth, I just spent $160 deposit on a 5.3, gonna go pay $240 more and pick it up with Harley tomorrow. ;D ;D ;D ;D

• QUITTER!
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 08:01:12 PM »
thanks to Harley, 2000 5.3 motor with supposedly around 100k miles is safe at Harley's house.
came with ecu, full harness (looks like) free radiator, fuel pump, all accessories.

now to do a whole bunch of researching on it.
if anyone has any spare 2.8 engine mounts, lmk.
i plan on making my own engine side mounts based off of the JTR manual drawings. already have 1/4" mild sheet, so should be just a matter of finding time to do it.

• Rep: +2/-0
    • MaconRacers
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 11:22:49 PM »
arn't the ls swap motor mounts different than the sbc mounts?

(I have a set of sbc mounts sitting in a box under my bed)
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers