Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » General Suspension 
|- Modifying my front control arms this weekend 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modifying my front control arms this weekend  (Read 5677 times)

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
Re: Modifying my front control arms this weekend
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »
$100 for a set of delrin? that should be a pretty easy decision.

My lathe won't hold tolerances so I wouldn't recommend it for something you care about, unless you want to upgrade the tool holder to something stiffer for me :)

my blazer is cooler than your s10

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
Bushings ordered haha although if you have ideas for improving your tool holder I'm down for helping out or sourcing materials out of the 36 mile scrap and metal bins.

• QUITTER!
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
Bushings ordered haha although if you have ideas for improving your tool holder I'm down for helping out or sourcing materials out of the 36 mile scrap and metal bins.
good!

interesting... this is a whole lot cheaper than i remember the last time i checked...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSTAR-AXA-Size-Wedge-Type-Quick-Change-Tool-Post-Set-for-Lathe-6-12-/271390053510?epid=1631884104&hash=item3f301b9486:g:uOQAAOxyAc1SREMC

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 08:20:53 AM »
Bumpstop brackets are done and turned out well enough for the constraints I'm working with and for not having to weld anything more.  You'll have to wait until next weekend for pictures and a description of that.

A couple weekends actually, but my week long break from work to work on the Blazer is over, now.

Some half inch aluminum plate later and I made a pair of bolt on bumpstop brackets.

It's a close fit to the knuckle, but just enough room. The triangle shape indexes perfectly into the control arm between the welds to the tubes.

Had to drill 3 holes in the control arm, 2 for mounting and one to clear the stud on the bumpstop, so I made the third large enough to fit the socket over the nut. If I had been thinking about the thickness of the control arm plate before I clearance drilled it I could have tapped the holes instead. Or vice versa on the bracket. Just an FYI for anyone looking to mimic this in the future.

Touches off on the outside of the spring pocket like so. I'm hoping I'm not riding on these often, but not sure how the longevity will be with what Ryo has experienced before.

I can space these up or shave them down easily enough to adjust the bumpstop height, but my best guess for now seems to be spot on.

Both arms are welded and at the powdercoater now.   8)

• QUITTER!
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »
you might want to add a landing pad to the frame where the bumper touches.
it will squish to a big contact surface, and hitting an edge will be unhappy.

you need to use the sand blaster more!

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »
yeah yeah I know I should haha I may try to build in a combo bracket/mount with the droop stop, but both of those will likely happen once the truck is back together again.

After finishing all the welding and struggling through some of it I realized I could have thrown the whole tacked together arms in the blast cabinet and cleaned them up more. Shame on me. The rest of it should be cleaned up nicely by the coater.