Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Member Forums  » Members S10\Blazer Projects 
|- Chassis Build Up & Design 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chassis Build Up & Design  (Read 102080 times)

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
Re: Chassis Build Up & Design
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2012, 04:31:19 PM »
Ok time to take a giant picture and update dump.  I might be able to remember everything I've done the last few months, but I've been slacking on pictures.

No pictures, but I got the trans crossmember welded up by Ryo and then gave it a good blast, grind, and prime before another friend painted it up pretty for me.  Also did the same with some new upper fuel tank straps.

Since I left off on the exhaust I took some measurements and dropped them into the CAD model I had of the exhaust and frame to size up the space I had for a muffler.  Picked up a Magnaflow 12589 Muffler.  It fits great [snug], but if I were to do it again I would probably go with the 12289 because it is narrower and closer to the stock muffler dimensions.  I have the 3" bends I need to finish the Y-pipe to muffler, but need to bug my 3" straight tube source some more to pick that up and finish the exhaust for now.  I've got the tail pipe modeled up, but need to find a shop with reasonable prices and CAD bending capabilities. [/wishful thinking]

Untitled by TheHarley, on Flickr

As you can see above I dropped the mockup cab onto the frame to check exhaust clearances since everything I had done was only visual estimation between CAD and the real world.  It is a bit tighter than I thought on the passenger side, but enough.  If I were to redo it I'd get 1-2" jog in the straight pipe going back while extending the manifold drop for some extra clearance.  It would still be tucked in the frame and less of a passenger foot warmer.

IMAG0248 by TheHarley, on Flickr

IMAG0250 by TheHarley, on Flickr

Also with the cab on I started a new trend of bravely cutting up the mock up cab.  First victim was the harness pass through.  Found a great location on the flat to the passenger side of center on the firewall.  It lines up where the harness comes off the engine at the passenger fuel rail.  On the interior there is an emty space betwen the firewall and the HVAC blower box with space to drop down underneath.  I was thinking I would have to clearance the blowerbox, so this is a huge win.  The hole actually needs to be larger than is shown in the picture.  The Fuse Block connector barely fit through, but I found a firewall grommet from an early 2000's Grand Am/Alero/etc. that is a great, larger candidate.

Finally in September I had a Saturday free and a couple friends willing to help.  Friday evening I drove the Blazer into the hoist bay.  Saturday morning around 9 my friend Julian and I started tearing into it.  He left at 3 with the body separated, the engine pulled and on a pallet, rear end swapped to the spare, and the old frame outside in shame.

That afternoon Ryo stopped by with his G/F and a friend to help me get started on a bunch of different things.  Oddly enough I have finished only a few of them so far haha, but it made me realize I needed to focus when I stopped back in the next time and was overwhelmed by all the little things that are next on the list.

Ryo did figure out how to get the steering shaft to fit for me.  Once I get around to getting the last pieces of my first engine mount revision I'm hoping they let me slide the engine over for a hair more clearance.

IMG_6598 by TheHarley, on Flickr

My electric throttle pedal was lifted from an S10e.  Unfortunately neither the bracket nor the pedal share a bolt pattern with the gas pedal, but since it was fitted in an S10 it was laid out correctly otherwise and has the right electronics to work with the 5.3 TAC module and electric throttle.  I took the base plate from the stock gas pedal and grafted a 1x2 steel tube to create the new bracket.  Just had to cut the tube at the correct angle, drill out the bolt pattern, and weld them together after trimming up the plate.

With the S10e truck being a unicorn Al and I (mostly Al actually) did some digging through GM parts.  A similar pedal also comes on the EV1 (more unicorn), but also the diesel GMT400 pickups as well.  That last will probably be the easiest source for someone interested in a better fitting pedal than the GMT900 monster.

As I've said earlier I tried to redouble my focus and work on one aspect of the build at a time.  Since the body is taking up space on the hoist I decided to get it prepped for transfer including wiring, shifter location, welding up extra holes, etc.  Started with the IP harness.  Got that wraped up pretty quick just pulling out unnecessary circuits.  Actually have a few more to pull and a few to add in, but that's how it goes sometimes.  The body harness has been quite the challenge though.  With adding in the one touch start, lighting control changes, and a few other things along with my picky attention to the most minute details I've already spent several weeks working through it.

Here's the current wiring mess with the interior completely stripped.

IMG_6602 by TheHarley, on Flickr

Got to a point where I needed to know where the fuse block was going to be located, so spent some time mocking up the brackets for the ECM and fuse block.  The packaging is much tighter than I imagined.  With the T56 shifter location further rearward I thought there would be plenty of space.  I was wrong, but the exercise got that figured out too.  I eventually got a stack up to fit the ECM, TAC, and Fuseblock very snugly up there.  Too bad the need for quick change fuses is a bad thing...  Will have to extend some wires for the fuse block on the engine harness that I thought was complete, but I will clean up the rest of the wiring inside the cab while I'm at it.

IMG_6586 by TheHarley, on Flickr

IMG_6587 by TheHarley, on Flickr

IMG_6596 by TheHarley, on Flickr

IMG_6597 by TheHarley, on Flickr

With the brackets done I need to relocate the Blazer's shifter hole since it is right where I need to weld the brackets in.  Started cleaning up the floor and firewall of unnecessary brackets and studs to prepare for that.  Even gave myself a go at some body work that will never see the light of day.  I'm happy enough with the results I may keep going on the firewall.  Note the blue tape that designates all the holes that need to be filled.

IMG_6603 by TheHarley, on Flickr

IMG_6604 by TheHarley, on Flickr

IMG_6606 by TheHarley, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:49:44 AM by Harley »

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »
And for your viewing pleasure a teaser of the second revision of my engine mounts.

Frame Mount by TheHarley, on Flickr

• Rep: +2/-0
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »

An ebay example of the mid 90's fullsize throttle pedal for reference. Rust and dust optional.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380482844146?item=380482844146&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2012, 08:16:19 PM »
me likey progress
my blazer is cooler than your s10

• MaconRacers
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »
glad to see some progress going on this project!
-Jonathan-

MaconRacers

• Rep: +1/-0
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2012, 02:10:03 AM »
Projects like this are one of the main reasons I missed this place..
'91 Sonoma ~ 5.7L 5spd ~ Project Truck
'99 Sierra 2500 ~ 5.3L 4L60E daily/tow pig

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2012, 08:49:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Always great motivation to have you guys interested in it.  I'll have another full day out at the shop on Friday.  The weather is looking good and I'm excited to do some more welding on the body.

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2012, 06:16:15 AM »
Projects like this are one of the main reasons I missed this place..

x2 - they're inspirational
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2012, 11:49:42 AM »
and informational!

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »
Finished filling all the holes in the floor today.  Would have liked to have gotten to some other things, but I'm slow, so I'm happy to have this done.

Robbed the mock-up cab of a floor section.

IMG_6607 by TheHarley, on Flickr

And filled in the factory shift hole.  Top side I cleaned up pretty well, but didn't feel like prettying up the bottom since it will be out of site and I'll brush some seam sealer over the welds for extra protection.

IMG_6609 by TheHarley, on Flickr

Finished welding up the spot welds that were holding the SIR module bracket in place.  The bracket was sandwiched between the body and the seat bolt brace, so I shoved a piece of sheet metal back in there to take up the space and hold the reweld.

IMG_6610 by TheHarley, on Flickr

All the bare metal got a coat of primer top and bottom.

IMG_6612 by TheHarley, on Flickr

IMG_6613 by TheHarley, on Flickr

The gap in the back will be cut out for the new shift hole, but I will probably have to do a bit more body work to finish it up.  Also trying to decide how to reinforce the seat bolt brace since I will be cutting a large hole in the front of it for the new shift hole.

IMG_6613 by TheHarley, on Flickr

« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »
I've never tried one of these, but it sounds ideal for dropping in panels like that.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-punch-flange-tool-1110.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZSxhj_2Avg

• QUITTER!
« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2012, 07:30:22 AM »
maybe you shoulda gotten a donor automatic blazer shell too

I've been impressed how easily the non-air powered versions of Al's idea works.
i've never used one aside from just playing with it.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #192 on: November 26, 2012, 08:19:49 AM »
Guess I could have gotten a full auto 2 door with a blown motor and just started over haha It would need to get the hole cut out for the clutch then.  Might be less work, but it is all done now.

That does look like a handy tool.  I still prefer not having overlapping panels like that.  At first glance you wouldn't notice it was patched plus the greater possibility of water getting between the panels and rusting it out.  It SHOULD be fine, but should never seems to work out for me.

« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »
looks great, do you plan to have any interior in this?

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2012, 08:20:20 PM »
Probably most of the interior for now.  It isn't caged yet and I'm using the stock switches and gauges still.  I'll be leaving much of the interior out of the rear.  Maybe even the rear carpet, but I can't think of anything up front I will leave out when it goes back together.

I take that back I'll be pulling the passenger air bag since the rest of the air bag system has been removed.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »
Like I said elsewhere, I've been working at finishing up the firewall.  Less brackets, less holes, and one new hole for the harness pass through.  Stole the large grommet from an Alero I believe.  Should look stock when I'm done. 8)  I am sure out of practice with body work, though.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2013, 07:46:42 AM »
Maybe I'm not so bad at bodywork.  Other than a few drips that are hidden behind the HVAC and wiper motor, I think the firewall turned out great.

Fresh Paint

IMAG0410 by TheHarley, on Flickr

IMAG0408 by TheHarley, on Flickr

Before

IMG_6606 by TheHarley, on Flickr

After

• QUITTER!
« Reply #197 on: June 20, 2013, 07:58:16 AM »
look at how much dust has accumulated!  :P

• Donors
  • Rep: +5/-0
« Reply #198 on: June 20, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »
Looks better than the paint on the outside of my truck!
03 Sonoma ECSB, 4.3 auto, bolt-ons, xtreme80 tune, ZQ8 steering box, QA1 coilovers and rear shocks, UB Machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall balljoints, ZO6 wheels, race seats.

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
« Reply #199 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »
look at how much dust has accumulated!  :P

Body work and dirt roads will do that in short order.

Looks better than the paint on the outside of my truck!

Mine too!