Home :: Forum :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register

+ pro-tourings10.com  » Chassis & Suspension  » General Suspension 
|- How to measure bumpsteer for under $10 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to measure bumpsteer for under $10  (Read 9999 times)

• QUITTER!
  • Rep: +4/-0
How to measure bumpsteer for under $10
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:20:42 AM »
Stolen from here
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=2576.0

Techinically just a relative measurement, although with some trig you can get hard numbers too.
but very budget friendly and doable for anyone.
Camber gain is also measurable.

So since I was unsuccessful at finding someone to borrow their bumpsteer gauge, I decided I'd go the DIY route.  I did some reading online and it looked like all I needed was a laser pointer and mirror.  So I got to work.

Removed my shock/spring (my suspension geometry isn't dictated by the coilover so I can do this).  Cars with McPherson struts or similar will have to remove the spring form their shock/strut to do this.  What you need to do is mount the mirror to your hub somehow.  As long as it moves in the same plane as the hub face it will be fine.  I clamped a mirror to the rotor.  Then setup a laser pointer to reflect off of the mirror onto the wall.  The further you put the paper from the car the more exaggerated the visualization will be.

This is the mirror clamped to my rotor.  The mirror cost me $3 from Meijer.

Here is a picture of the laser pointer, aimed at the mirror.  Its taped to the level, and taped to the table to ensure it doesn't move during this.

Here is a picture of hte finished product.

There are two colored dots.  The pencil color is with maximum correction (thickest spacer able to fit).  The red dots are with only half of the bumpsteer correction spacers installed.  Here is how you read the chart. There is one dot for ride height.  I made dots for 1", 2", and 3" bump and rebound.  Vertical movement is due to camber gain.  Horizontal movement is due to toe changes (this is not good).  Ideally you'd want a purely vertical line.  So if you look at my results you'll see that the best possible solution for me is to use the thickest possible spacer that I can fit.  If I was able to fit more spacers I would, to get that line vertical.

This first video is using less than optimal spacers in the kit.  It follows the red dots on my paper.
Bumpsteer Video 1

This second video is using the maximum amount of spacers on the stud, this follows the pencil dots.
Bumpsteer Video 2
my blazer is cooler than your s10

Re: How to measure bumpsteer for under $10

• Fuel Problem
  • Administrator
  • Rep: +6/-0
Re: How to measure bumpsteer for under $10
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
I think Al's digital level has a laser built in!  Will have to add this to the DIY alignment info now bouncing around in my head.